Accused of cheating on Strava

14 watchers
Jun 2017
12:01am, 24 Jun 2017
544 posts
  •  
AndrewS
Fenners- Nailed it! How sad has your life got to be to get hung up about such things. *strokes imaginary beard*
Jun 2017
7:38am, 24 Jun 2017
18,157 posts
  •  
Meglet
I've seen obvious cheating where people with male names and pictures are atop the women's leaderboards. That's pretty sad that someone wants to do that to make themselves look good as there's no real prizes.
Jun 2017
8:13am, 24 Jun 2017
11,642 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I have seen folks on top of running leaderboards with very quick times and they probably cycled it. Unless they go back and edit the activity they seem to remain there.
Jun 2017
8:15am, 24 Jun 2017
18,160 posts
  •  
Meglet
Yes it happens. But most of us shrug our shoulders and move on. I don't think I'd bother reporting it, but some people obviously do.
Jun 2017
8:20am, 24 Jun 2017
10,738 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
On a slightly different point, one of my quicker runners has admitted he struggles to run slow and easy runs - as suggested by my (or indeed other) coaching plans because of what they will be recorded as on Strava.
Jun 2017
9:25am, 24 Jun 2017
1,435 posts
  •  
FergusG
AL - Surely he could mark them as Private or title them slow/easy/recovery if his ego is that fragile?
Jun 2017
9:50am, 24 Jun 2017
13,252 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
My commutes upload as runs because I use a running watch (I have a proper cycling garmin for proper bike rides but don't want to take it into work every day). I do edit them pretty much straight away but wish strava would spot that they are rides like fetch does!

(Incidentally on one route I take on the commuter I go down a big hill very fast. The running watch has lost the file twice recently on the same route. I am starting to wonder whether it's because it isn't designed to cope with 30mph+)
Jun 2017
10:49am, 24 Jun 2017
18,161 posts
  •  
Meglet
There's a great article somewhere about the hidden meanings of your ride/run title.
Jun 2017
10:59am, 24 Jun 2017
1,939 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I agree, it's rather sad that some people care so much about what's on Strava. At least I'm in no danger of bothering anyone with my times!
Jun 2017
9:23am, 25 Jun 2017
238 posts
  •  
magnumpti
Turns out that it's because of my watch being unable to record cycling activities so everything was uploaded as a run. They even told me this so why they didn't say that in the first place I don't know. I had three choices, upload everything manually which I can't be arsed to do, mark everything as private which I can't be arsed to do or edit the activity as soon as I've done it which I can't be arsed to do, after all Fetch is clever enough to know.

Think I'll just continue to leave things as they are, if they want to delete my account that's up to them!

About This Thread

Maintained by magnumpti
Have any of you been accused of cheating by Strava?

I received an email from them last night say...