Absolute Beginner Needs Assistance

5 watchers
Sep 2006
7:12pm, 27 Sep 2006
0 posts
  •  
Advice from max71 to start thread so here goes...........<br><br>Hi everyone,<br><br>Been addicted to fetch web site ever since the RNR when i attended with my boss to help with t-shirts on registration. I have not done any exercise since I left school 16 years ago. <br><br>Briefly, I started work for my current employer within the trophy business and speak to a lot of runners/athletes and am amazed at their enthusiasm for running. I was challenged to participate in the Great East Anglia Run in May this year which I did and FINISHED to my amazement. I didn't put in as much training as I wanted because of various reasons so every time I did run it was a chore rather than enjoyment. I was so glad to finish and at the end I said NEVER AGAIN. I now find myself inspired by all you great people that I may take up running but haven't got a clue about it at all. I also have trouble finding time to do things so this will be adding to my list. Any ideas on where to begin???<br>
Sep 2006
7:19pm, 27 Sep 2006
0 posts
  •  
Maclennane
there are lots of beginners' schedules around (look on the runners world site for a start, but they all basically say the same thing. 2-3 times on weekdays run a bit, walk a bit, try to increase the running time each week, and aim at 20mins total time for these. On a Sunday try going really really slow and week 1 run as far as you can as slow as you can, then aim to add 10% per week.

But don't let it become a chore. Run to enjoy. And sign up for a short race in about 5 weeks time. Mebbe a Bushy Park Time Trial.
Sep 2006
7:23pm, 27 Sep 2006
0 posts
  •  
Cheers for that. I have looked at a few websites but they tend to differ so wanted some real advice from the people in the know. I really want to learn to enjoy running and maybe who knows I could become as addicted to it as I have this website.
Sep 2006
7:25pm, 27 Sep 2006
0 posts
  •  
B.B.
Hi Lucy. Firstly well done on finding Fetch. It's full of nutcases but, as you say, addictive and fun.

Secondly, watch out for JohnJn. He's a bit of a wild one.

Starting out differs for everyone, but the main thing is not to rush it. You know that you can do it having finished the GEAR in May. Get yourself fitted up for some proper shoes at your friendly local running shop then go for it. It doesn't matter how far and for how long, but do waht you can. And set yourself mini goals. Never try and make too big a step on from your previous longest run though - it takes time.

And most importantly get back on here and let us all know how you're getting along!
BB :-)
Sep 2006
7:26pm, 27 Sep 2006
0 posts
  •  
Stay with Fetch!! They're a great bunch and very inspiring and you may be lucky enough to meet/run with some of them. There's also stacks on craic on the chat forum.
Sep 2006
7:30pm, 27 Sep 2006
0 posts
  •  
Max71
"they're"? MrsMinx.....what you no longer one of us then? ;-)
Sep 2006
7:33pm, 27 Sep 2006
0 posts
  •  
BB thats for that great advice, I might just take it on board. I will definietly be back to let you guys know how its going.

Hope JohnJn not too wild, but i could give him a good run for his money!! ;-)
Sep 2006
7:36pm, 27 Sep 2006
0 posts
  •  
I agree with you MrsMinx, I have been logging onto this site every night for the last week and I'm already addicted and loving every minute. This is inspiring me to start running. Now that is something.
Sep 2006
7:40pm, 27 Sep 2006
0 posts
  •  
I will take your advice snhow. As I know you, perhaps you are offering?? ;-) or know of someone else?
Sep 2006
7:41pm, 27 Sep 2006
0 posts
  •  
Max71
Welcome to Fetch SNHOW......

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone