Aberdeen Parkrun

40 watchers
Feb 2011
12:31pm, 4 Feb 2011
4,627 posts
  •  
Maz 1974
I say from here on in, lets not focus on the other places it coulda, woulda, shoulda been, and focus on the fact that Jamie is a good year further down the line and the beach is on its way to happening as aberdeens park run....

Well done that man....

So, give us a summary of what you need now Jamie........
Feb 2011
12:40pm, 4 Feb 2011
4,628 posts
  •  
Maz 1974
I quote -

Next step is to secure funding, a new Parkrun requires several thousand pounds to start up, and I didn’t have it spare. I have just submitted an application for a NHS health improvement funding, as an initiative to get new people running. I will find out in the next few weeks if this has been successful. There has been some previous Parkruns in England which got started with this sort of funding, so my fingers are crossed.

If I do not secure funding this way, then we may have to look to the private sector. If any of you work in the private sector and think you may know someone who has funds available, then get in touch with me directly and I can help get negotiations going.

Once the money is sorted, we then need to do a risk assessment and get the pool of volunteers set up, and this will hopefully be done with the Parkrun management team, who will also need to teach us how to use the computers and timer systems that they supply.
The last few months really have been quite a bit of work in terms of emails and meetings, and I really hope that this message is some assurance that we will get things going eventually. I never had any idea how many hurdles needed to be jumped, and I hope that in time we will get a great event going to pay off the work.

- unquote
Mar 2011
10:30am, 4 Mar 2011
4,770 posts
  •  
Maz 1974
Jamie.... any news? anything wot needs doing?

Has anyone got any experience of trying out other park runs?

i went to Edinburgh at Crammond and very liked it.... sub 30 5k, so i was happy!!
May 2011
5:47pm, 5 May 2011
7 posts
  •  
J Cassidy
AN UPDATE RE ABERDEEN!!!!
I am nearly there- i have been continuing to work on things and here is the up to date nwes
1- we have permission to use the esplanade from the council
2- Funding- Money is being sought centrally through parkrun- i really hope to get this confirmed soon- the bosses have been trying to secure national supporter (ie sponsorship) deals and hopefully Aberdeen will be next in line.
3- I have done risk analysis of the course and measured an accurate 5k route - with the start in the same place as the finsh.
4- I would also like best advice for where runners can meet afterward for a cafe. Beach leisure centre is closest, but does anyone have a particualr favourite from the other beach cafes??

Next thing i need to get is our team - we will need volunteers to marshall and time each race (prob 3-4 each week) and i will get a formal list together. I need people to put their names forward and I will get advice on how often we would expect folk to help out. The more people we have- the easier the rota wil be.

Carolyn has my email address and people can mail me- i do have a list of names already- but it wouild be good if people could let me know again.

Hope this is what you wanted to hear.
May 2011
7:18pm, 5 May 2011
397 posts
  •  
The Duckinator
Fantastic news! I'm unsure what I'll be working over summer but if I have Saturdays off I'll let you know and I'll be a willing volunteer (if I'm not running myself that is ;))
May 2011
8:04pm, 5 May 2011
635 posts
  •  
Incognito
That sounds really interesting, my daughter has ice skating lessons on a Saturday morning, would be interested in what sort of time it would be ?
May 2011
9:15pm, 5 May 2011
5,409 posts
  •  
Torry Quine
Parkruns are normally 9:30 I think incognito.

It's all coming together.
May 2011
4:59pm, 7 May 2011
637 posts
  •  
Incognito
Hello TQ, I was with Ultracat yesterday ??
May 2011
2:53am, 8 May 2011
5,431 posts
  •  
Torry Quine
I apologise, I didn't realise. I hope you enjoyed your coffee.
May 2011
7:48am, 8 May 2011
641 posts
  •  
Incognito
No either did I, alway good coffee and cake!!

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
This is a copy of the original posting I put on the Aberdeen Fetch Mile Forum earlier this week- onc...