Aberdeen Parkrun

40 watchers
Feb 2011
10:08pm, 3 Feb 2011
893 posts
  •  
-caz-
"Newcastle is sponsored...by Sweatshop, Lucozade (and possibly the VLM)"

All parkruns are sponsored by Sweatshop, Lucozade and Nike with VLM a supporter :)
Feb 2011
10:12pm, 3 Feb 2011
4,594 posts
  •  
Torry Quine
It's great to see so many brand new Aberdeen Fetchies. Welcome one and all. I'm sure the Aberdeen Parkrun will be as much of a success as the others.
I'm not an established runner, but very much a beginner, like so many others who have commented. One of the things I like is variety, and not just in what's to look at but also what's underfoot, and there's nothing like a regular run in a park to give you that.

I would have to disagree with LucieS about Hazlehead not being suitable, having run (or walked actually) in events there for a couple of thousand participants, it's more than capable of taking the numbers and offering us a change of scenery every week.

I'm sure that the decision on the beach was not taken just by a couple of people, but presumably after talking with local running clubs and especially the existing Jogscotland groups who have a wealth of experience in what is needed to attract people new to running and indeed exercise in general.
Feb 2011
8:49am, 4 Feb 2011
2 posts
  •  
LucieS
I agree Hazlehead is very pretty and peaceful. However, the conditions underfoot are very variable. Love running round the trails at the back of the golf courses and through the woods and hapy to do this on my own any time. Great through the summer months but many areas are boggy/icy/slippy through the winter months. I believe one of the conditions for the parkrun route is that it has to be runnable the year round. I don't mind a bit of mud, but if people started getting injured, it wouldn't be great.

Torry Quine - I don't know if you're referring to Race for Life as an event at Hazlehead with thousands of people. I did once do the Race for Life there before I was a regular runner. I was somewhere near the back but I remember it getting badly bottlenecked (this might have been about 2004?) and, as far as I know, Race for Life has been at the the beach every year since. Many of the other regular races in Aberdeen also take place at the beach - Baker Hughes, Christmas Canter, The Running Shop 10k, probably some others but not being a competitive runner I'm not sure. There must be a reason these organisers have all picked the beach as opposed to any other venue.

I agree we don't have the most scenic beach front in the country but, all things considered, it's the the most practical venue. Having said that, I can remember running there some evenings last summer when it was absolutely beautiful - sun was out, warm breeze, flat sea and, for a minute, I thought I was in California, nae Aiberdeen!! Rained next morning though....
Feb 2011
9:10am, 4 Feb 2011
644 posts
  •  
MikeR (com160)
I think you have to remember the point you just made as well "Many of the other regular races in Aberdeen also take place at the beach" these are paid for events, we want the support from the people that organise these events. By putting on a free event in the same location you are going to take away their customers.
Feb 2011
10:20am, 4 Feb 2011
First-time poster!!
  •  
Limping Phil
Couple of thoughts:

1. My personal experience is that parkruns help local clubs and races rather than detracting from them. Personally, parkrun was my way into organised events and I have now taken place in several 5 and 10ks in the local area - that I didn't know existed before. I also joined a running club (and then got injured, and then moved away .. but anyway ...)

2. From what I remember of playing football in Aberdeen, is there a 5K loop at the vast expanses of the pitches (and other area other side of Great Southern Road) the south side of the river from Duthie Park? Using the underpass under Great Southern Road - possibly park at Goals ..... don't know how they' would view it - possibly closed/quiet at that time on a Sat morning?

Good luck. It is worth the effort. Life enhancing for many people. The promenade is lovely too ....
Feb 2011
10:41am, 4 Feb 2011
1,523 posts
  •  
Nywanda
MA,

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=43617&page=1
Here is a link to another group of people also setting up a park run. It might be helpful to read through their comments and suggestions.

I think the event at Hazelhead is the Big Fun Run; I've run it the last two years and not had much problem. Some folks run it with their kids/prams and dogs. The JDRF 5K uses a different route at HH and even in the slashing rain, was fairly passable although there was an uphill part.

Any sporting event carry's risk and when you enter, you sign a disclaimer to say that you're responsible for you. Injury's occur regardless of terrain, distance or watchfulness. All that can be done is to minimise the potential (likelihood) and make the hazards ALARP; as low as reasonably practicable. Park runs tend to have plenty marshalls and usually someone walks the course to tape off any low lying branches with red/white barrier tape or mark out soggy ground, just generally checking for new hazards. The course risk assessment usually takes care of the major stuff and I believe thats already being looked at for the beach site. (Should pretty much be the same as the other events RAs)

A beach run works everytime and is traffic free, although not pedestrian free. We did quite a bit of dodging walkers/dogs/prams at the Santa 6K. You have to be mindful of the sand which gets washed up onto the lower promenade (assuming that will form part of the route) but it doesn't really slow you down that much. The following people probably need to be contacted out of courtesy, following on from the comment above regarding charity and entry-fee races:
Metro Running club - Kids company charity challenge 5K, PROMS winter series 3K (6 meets from October to March)
Mencap - Beach canter 10K
Wildhearts - Santa run 6K
The Running shop - Beach front Summer 10K
Cosmic Hill-bashers - Beach bum present run

Race for life - 5K
Baker Hughes/Aberdeen Council - 10K

That's all that I'm aware of. I'm sure that when these races fall on a Saturday, the park run could be switched to the Sunday that week (I've seen other park runs announce this in the local papers).

I'm going to the PROMS today to support a friend so will mention this to their organiser and see what he thinks. Shouldn't affect them that much since their race is on a Friday lunchtime and park run will be at the weekend.
Feb 2011
11:01am, 4 Feb 2011
8,071 posts
  •  
halfpint
I'm not overly taken with the idea of the beach for a parkrun. I understand the reasoning for it but as I've mentioned in another thread I don't agree with some of the arguments for - its a pain to get to the beach from south of city since Union Sq opened. Depending on where you're starting from the parking can be an issue. It has also just occured to me that I would not bring my 8yo down to hang about at Aberdeen beach whereas if I was doing a couple of loops of a park I might be happier for him to play in park with other kids whilst I ran. Also I agree with others that there are loads of other races based down there and it would be nice to have a race in Aberdeen that ISN'T at the beach.

That said I understand the issues with other venues. And if the decision has already been made I will turn up once in a while to run it!! I agree with the comment about consulting running clubs/jog scotland also - these guys know their stuff and getting them onboards could really pay :)
Feb 2011
11:35am, 4 Feb 2011
1,525 posts
  •  
Nywanda
Limping Phil - yes, I have reccied the Boat club park you mention (not sure of real name) and you can get a figure of eight 5K in down there, all offroad on paths and with nice views of river. Goals or Beefeater or boatclubs would have to be persuaded for use of facilities and parking could be an issue but there are plenty buses over Torry bridge or to Duthie park side. The need for marshalls on the course would be minimal and figure of 8 means less first aid points and so on. I'm planning to share my rout notess with the organiser if he's available to come along to the Fetch Mile in a few weeks and this is one of them.
njs
Feb 2011
11:45am, 4 Feb 2011
3 posts
  •  
njs
I find it quite amusing that all the "first time posters" are pretty much for the Park Run at the beach. And the "older" posters are against or maybe not that keen!!

Personnally I would rather do a flat/fast 5k at the beach, can't see it affecting any other race that anyone would organise as is a totally different event and will attract different people. Would be a good way for new folk to give running a go and surely Aberdeen beach isn't that horrible a place to run!! But at the same time give regular runners an opportunity to test them and see where there fitness is.

I don't do negative thoughts and would like to wish anyone who takes on any sort of organising event all the best, definately not a task I would like to organise, especially with so many conflicting viewpoints. If you don't fancy the beach as a venue, simple answer is don't turn up and run!!!
Feb 2011
12:05pm, 4 Feb 2011
8,074 posts
  •  
halfpint
Funnily enough the first time posters vs *cough* older posters wasn't lost on me either. I wonder where all these new posters have sprung from :p As you say njs if we don't like it we just won't come. I think a valid point is that consultation with seasoned runners is important and as long as the organisers have spoken to established running groups then they will get an overall view of how folks feel about a beach parkrun vs other locations!! We are entitled to our opinions :)

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
This is a copy of the original posting I put on the Aberdeen Fetch Mile Forum earlier this week- onc...