Aaarrrggghhh shin splints! Anyone sort them out for good?

9 watchers
Jan 2013
8:51pm, 20 Jan 2013
46,527 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Also, If I do any more than 10 miles in off road shoes i get issues
Jan 2013
8:51pm, 20 Jan 2013
2,909 posts
  •  
SteveV
Orthotics sorted a lot of problems I had a few years ago
Jan 2013
9:36pm, 20 Jan 2013
1,716 posts
  •  
Pestomum
Bump for anyone who may have advice for my acute problem :-)
Jan 2013
9:40pm, 20 Jan 2013
6,873 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
I learnt to run properly - had 121 chi running coaching. And I've not had shin splints since, despite really upping my mileage :)
Jan 2013
9:43pm, 20 Jan 2013
1,717 posts
  •  
Pestomum
Yes, and I can do that *after* i've got better...

Glad to hear you're healed :-)
Jan 2013
4:45pm, 21 Jan 2013
1,449 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I've heard many recommend compression socks - I have yet to develop them running - last time I had them was many years ago when the Am Drams did 'Fiddler on the Roof' and I was a Cossack dancer (lots of heel stamps!!)
Feb 2013
5:37pm, 21 Feb 2013
6 posts
  •  
kelly_gc
Where can I go to get my running form assessed? I've had gait analysis - is this the same thing? TIA
Feb 2013
6:15pm, 21 Feb 2013
58 posts
  •  
olde english
Stress fractures, shin splints, PF, chronic knees are my injury highlights to date. Cleared up last years shin splints with lots of toe raises and other assorted strength work combined with lighter more flexible shoes. Currently have shin splints the return. Flared up after I switched shoes to add more cushioning for a painful foot. Switching back to minimal shoes so hopfully I ll be able to post that has worked again in a few weeks.
Feb 2013
9:07pm, 28 Feb 2013
489 posts
  •  
AstraKhanGentry
I am currently also suffering with the dreaded shins. I have orthotics for overpronation but so far what they seem to do is give me blister up the inside of the soles of my feet :( I am running with the orthotics and the supportive shoes, I may try some normal shoes with the orthotics and see how that goes, for now, though, swimming and ice and some strength, while I decamp to the running style threads and do some homework or what I should be doing that I'm not.
May 2013
10:14am, 9 May 2013
722 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Looks like I’m on the SS wagon (hmm, maybe need a different choice of abbreviation there) too – classic symptoms of shin splints, albeit more pronounced in my left than my right.

I’ve worked out how to mend it for now (RICE with the emphasis on rest, apparently) but stopping it from recurring is the problem. I had gait analysis when I picked my (unused until last year) running shoes but that was 4 or 5 years ago. The current plan is to book an appointment with my GP, trying to get an NHS physio session to analyse the cause and then work out a solution (different shoes / orthotics / change running style / full moon goat sacrifice ).

If the NHS approach doesn’t work, does anyone have an opinion on who to approach for an analysis please? Sports physio, podiatrist, running shop, witch doctor?

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I rest, they settle, i run they come back. I extend length of rest, reduce speed and distance when s...