A question about training logs before I make a request to Lord Fetch.

3 watchers
Jan 2012
9:03pm, 1 Jan 2012
250 posts
  •  
Pale Skinny Vegan
Just in case I've missed something, what I want to do is keep track of how many miles I do on each bike.
On bikejournal.com I can add as many bikes as I want to my profile, then pick one from a drop down list when I add a ride to my log in much the same way that I can with shoes on Fetcheveryone.
There's the Bespoke Fields box, where I could type in the name of the bike manually, but I can't see how to use that to separate each bike's mileage.
I could cheat by naming each bike after a pair of shoes, then using the shoes drop down box as a sort of coded record of which bike I was riding, but that would spoil the shoe data tables for everyone else.
Is there an easy way round the problem ?
Is there enough demand for a user definable equipment drop down box to make it worth adding one ?
Jan 2012
10:24pm, 1 Jan 2012
2,374 posts
  •  
SherryB
I'm curious why it matters which bike you're riding? (I never really record which bike I'm riding because if it's winter it's my Daccordi, in the summer the Specialized, or depends on what I'm doing i.e. off-road or on). But also intrigued that you're doing mountain bike orienteering. I've started doing some foot orienteering but want to give mtb orienteering a go, partly so my husband can join in. I'm in Kent/SE London - any events you'd recommend for a beginner?
Jan 2012
5:42am, 2 Jan 2012
251 posts
  •  
Pale Skinny Vegan
It's not so much which bike, but which type of bike, I want to keep track of.
Thanks to BikeJournal, I can easily see that I did over half my distance last year on a single speed.
An "MTB Single Speed" option in the Training Activity drop down box would do it for me, although being able to specify which bike would be even better.

I ride midlandtrailquests.co.uk events. Berkshire is about the furthest SE we go.
bmbo.org.uk is a national club, although most of their events are in the Northern half of the country.
mbosouth.co.uk covers the South, but doesn't seem to go as far West as Kent.
The biggest difference you will find with mountain bike orienteering is that we have to stick to RoWs. The CPs will generally be on a conspicuous landmark at the side of a bridleway or road, there's no heading off on a bearing in to the undergrowth.
I'm going the other way to you. After a few years of orienteering on a bike, I now want to improve my running so I can have a proper go at orienteering on foot.
Jan 2012
5:44am, 2 Jan 2012
252 posts
  •  
Pale Skinny Vegan
I meant as far *East* as Kent.
Bit of an embarrassing mistake for an orienteer. :-)
Jan 2012
6:51am, 2 Jan 2012
4,604 posts
  •  
flip
left right , east west . we all get them easily confused from time to time . (said he who added 3 miles to a fell race the other week ). I like the bike idea if its not to hard for the lord to do. i'd mail him . might want to give him a bit time right now to get back to you tho . :-)
Jan 2012
6:55am, 2 Jan 2012
2,184 posts
  •  
West Yorkshire Plodder
I've never logged any bike mileage, but when running there's an 'equipment' field for shoes - so I imagine it would be fairly straight forward to add a biking equivalent.
Jan 2012
9:37am, 2 Jan 2012
2,379 posts
  •  
SherryB
thanks for the links

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Pale Skinny Vegan
Just in case I've missed something, what I want to do is keep track of how many miles I do on each ...