A Maigret Christmas - Book Group discussion thread

10 watchers
Feb 2019
10:48am, 12 Feb 2019
110,666 posts
  •  
GregP
Interesting. Mr Fry read me A Study in Scarlet recently. I just wanted to punch Holmes, in the same way I want to punch him in that strange American series (Elementary, I think it's called).
Feb 2019
6:59pm, 12 Feb 2019
25,658 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Greg I've recently had a reading 'holiday' - ie books that don't tax or depress me (like The Luminaries is currently doing ;-) ) but which are perfectly Good Reads. As a result, I've re-read The Nine Tailors, and read Strong Poison and Clouds of Witness for the first time. I think they're pretty good though the last mentioned was my least favourite. I love Golden Age detective fiction and Sayers is pretty much the doyenne IMO.
Feb 2019
9:11pm, 12 Feb 2019
110,698 posts
  •  
GregP
Nice.

I re-read the first few Morse books a couple of years back and was deeply disappointed.

Also, I must confess to never having read any Ngaio Marsh. I assume this makes me Wrong.

I suspect The Nine Tailors is the only DLS I’ve read, and that was probably thirty+ years ago.
Feb 2019
10:24pm, 12 Feb 2019
25,659 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I have a sentimental reason for liking DLS and Peter Wimsey stories. When son1 was at Durham, he and I used to listen to CDs of dramatisations of PW novels - with Ian Carmichael as Wimsey - of course, who else? - and Peter Jones as Bunter - on the long drive north (and equally long drive back south at the end of term). Just the two of us in the car sharing a very companionable experience :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Sank 'eaven for ze Cheeky Girls, zey grow up in ze most frightful way...

This is the discussion thread for Lil Georgie Simenon's Big Book.

Hello Georgie, do you want a balloon?