•  
LindsD
:)
Jan 2019
8:17pm, 20 Jan 2019
3,025 posts
  •  
westmoors
Crumbs, Paris at Christmas in the 40's/50's seem very different to any Chrismas' I've known.

Really enjoyed the first 2 stories, the 3rd less so.
Jan 2019
8:25pm, 20 Jan 2019
26,047 posts
  •  
LindsD
I've just acquired a Maigret in translation into German from a free book exchange. I'm enjoying it so far.
Jan 2019
8:43pm, 20 Jan 2019
37,859 posts
  •  
McGoohan
westmoors has just reminded me - that was a bit I found really weird. Having been scuppered in France by the lack of any shops/services/transport etc on Sundays, it was surprising to say the least to see everyone going to the shops, restaurants, etc and getting trains on Christmas Day. Was that for real? There's almost no trains on Christmas Day in the UK and no shops and cafes open.
Jan 2019
7:09am, 21 Jan 2019
110,310 posts
  •  
GregP
For a town that still pretty much closes down for August...
Feb 2019
10:03pm, 11 Feb 2019
9,209 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I've not read Simenon before and I had no idea he'd written so many books!

1st story was quite good although the ending felt rushed and some of the conclusions seemed a bit of a stretch.

2nd story was my favourite. It was a cracking story and made it very interesting to have it all mainly told from the telephone operator's point of view. I was almost holding my breath towards the end as I was so worried about the nephew! This would make a good little film or TV play although it might be hard to explain how the Parisian police infrastructure worked in a non-clunky way.

3rd story was a disappointment as it seemed a bit sordid and odd.

Overall he's a good writer and I enjoyed the Maigret story enough to think about giving one of his novels a go. Looks like I'll have plenty to choose from ;-)

I gave this book a 6, but if it had been just the middle story it would have been an 8.
Feb 2019
6:00am, 12 Feb 2019
110,661 posts
  •  
GregP
That’s a nice review. Thanks for reminding me about the book.
Feb 2019
7:37am, 12 Feb 2019
26,323 posts
  •  
LindsD
I've got another one of his. I picked it up at one of those outside library things. Have started it but not finished- not because I don't like it. Will check title.
Feb 2019
9:46am, 12 Feb 2019
110,663 posts
  •  
GregP
After that and the BBC John Malkovich Poirrot thing I have the urge to read either Maigret or Poirrot 'from the beginning'. Or Lord Peter Whimsey (sp?) or somesuch. Any suggestions?
Feb 2019
9:54am, 12 Feb 2019
38,384 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I read and enjoyed the first Lord Peter Wims, the second one not so much. The first Maigret is Petr the Latvian. All the Maigrets are short and easy reads and very stylish. A bit more to them than you might expect from a detective novel of the era. Wimsey is a deliberate halfway point between Sherlock Holmes and Jeeves and Wooster.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Sank 'eaven for ze Cheeky Girls, zey grow up in ze most frightful way...

This is the discussion thread for Lil Georgie Simenon's Big Book.

Hello Georgie, do you want a balloon?