A hybrid bike is......

9 watchers
May 2011
9:47pm, 17 May 2011
3,603 posts
  •  
Debstir
I can't really comment *too* much not ever having had a hybrid but my road bike is pretty comfy. Saying that I'm not crouched up in an aero position; I think a lot of road bikes have a more 'relaxed' riding position than say TT bikes. But I'd think if you were going to bin the mountain bike & use the new one for the commute then maybe a hybrid would be a better all-rounder?

My old mountain bike's doing fab with it's pannier rack & panniers right enough :) Keeps my good bike good and even left it chained up to the bike rack at work overnight last Saturday and it was still there on Sunday. Doubt my road bike would have been.... ;)
May 2011
10:25pm, 17 May 2011
237 posts
  •  
Lisa T
I've got a Specialized hybrid. It's designed essentially as a commuter bike. It's great for the road & can handle a fair bit of cycle path, etc. It really is a bike that can be used for pretty much anything. I'm buying a road bike because it's gorgeous & I want one but will still keep my hybrid for bad weather, commuting & stuff. I reckon they're great bikes & really versatile & you can't go far wrong with one. Just get a big shed then if you buy a road bike, cyclocross bike, mountain bike & single speed bike in the fuure, you can fit them all in! ;-)
May 2011
10:31pm, 17 May 2011
10,460 posts
  •  
hellen
Not sure if I will keep my mountain bike, orob will for trips to town as less likely to get knicked

Are hybrids good for 60 odd mile sportive road events? I don't really do off road
May 2011
10:34pm, 17 May 2011
14,010 posts
  •  
hammerite
Lillaicha - I agree with Boab, a cyclo cross bike sounds perfect for what you want. They're nto mega expensive, I got a reasonable second hand one for £400, you can get a decent new one for about £7-800.
May 2011
7:48am, 18 May 2011
4,102 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Hammers - thank for that, I like the look of this (but can't afford it!)

evanscycles.com

Bearing in mind that I will probaby choose my bike in the same way that I choose my fantasy cycling team! :)
May 2011
7:55am, 18 May 2011
16,362 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
As an unconfident cyclist, I like the more upright riding position of the hybrid.
May 2011
7:59am, 18 May 2011
16,363 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
I have one of these
g-whizzcycles.co.uk
Not too expensive, and not from Halfords :-)
May 2011
8:05am, 18 May 2011
8,522 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
When I got my road bike I thought I'd still use my hybrid to commute on - but I've been won over by the road bike and now my thinking is use my road bike for commuting and get a better road bike for the longer/faster stuff...

Mind you, it helps that my commute is all on road - if I was commuting down a towpath or something like that I'd definitely take the hybrid.
May 2011
8:08am, 18 May 2011
3,435 posts
  •  
Porky pilotlight
a bike, use it, love it.
May 2011
8:10am, 18 May 2011
2,012 posts
  •  
Dawnp
hellen I use my hybrid for road events/sportives. Even did a duathlon with it.

About This Thread

Maintained by Liliaicha
a) a complete waste of time HTFU and get a road bike (I'm scared of cycling on the road!)

b) a c...