Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

A Head Thread

21 watchers
21 Sep
7:28pm, 21 Sep 2021
79683 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I used to use running as a meditation...
Now I use walking.
21 Sep
7:29pm, 21 Sep 2021
79684 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I have never been able to listen to music. When I run, I run.
When I walk I walk.
21 Sep
10:31pm, 21 Sep 2021
2442 posts
  •  
Canute
I think music does have a special relationship to exercise. As one might expect, studies reveal that increase in musical tempo is associated with increased speed and cadence, while decreases in tempo have a negative influence. A rhythmic structure that places emphasis on alternating beats tends to be more effective for increasing walking speed. Also as one might expect, the emotion enhancing effects of music influence performance. But as also be expected, these effects of music are minimal or absent among serious athletes performing at high intensity. The summary of relevant studies and references to some of the primary research can be found in the review by Van Dyck and Leman biblio.ugent.be

I personally think it is very unlikely that I will ever be tempted to use headphones when running. I find that incorporating awareness of my breathing rhythm into awareness of the integrated action of my arms, torso and legs when running provides adequate modulation of my effort level. During outdoor running I also find the natural world provides both inspiration and a calming influence. On the other hand, blocking out the sounds of environmental hazards is dangerous.

However as mentioned above, I think the emotional arousal provided by road-side bands during major marathon adds to the excitement and exhilaration of such events.

But for the most part, I think that music and movement are best integrated in dance, not running.
21 Sep
11:18pm, 21 Sep 2021
4226 posts
  •  
Kieren
I walloped my head in 2017 around the left side of the prefrontal cortex, I could notice a reward or runners high after hard runs, like vo2max intervals. It would last about as long as the effort - so not very long.

As for headphones, I like to listen to audiobooks on easy runs but more as a habit stack than a distraction. It might be a distraction form traffic and ambient noise living running a city thinking on it. We often give little thought to how much effort it takes to filter out noise to focus on select things.
22 Sep
6:30am, 22 Sep 2021
28043 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I listen to audio books but I am also aware that you can’t use headphones at races so do train without too
I use bone conduction headphones so can still hear the world

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
All things THINKING.

Not just mindfulness and meditation. Not just the Positive Mental Attitude so...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.