A Good Cup of Coffee

74 watchers
Feb 2022
3:56pm, 9 Feb 2022
22,218 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Friend gave me some (freshly ground) beans his partner's bro had brought back from Ethiopia where he lives.

I'm not a fan of Ethiopian coffee as it's too light and citrussy. However, I mixed it with some El Borbollon and hey! presto; it was good.
Feb 2022
6:11pm, 21 Feb 2022
3,946 posts
  •  
Groundhog
Oh my. I have just experienced the worst coffee I have ever had. On an LNER train and from a single button press latte admittedly but how did they manage to get the lingering aftertaste of a three day old ashtray in it?! :-o
Feb 2022
9:21pm, 21 Feb 2022
9,021 posts
  •  
sallykate
I rarely drink tea but on a train I'd go for it over coffee on the basis that it's a lot easier to spoil coffee than tea.
Feb 2022
9:27pm, 21 Feb 2022
9,022 posts
  •  
sallykate
At the beginning of the year I decided to treat myself (ourselves) to a Square Mile subscription, with a bag of beans delivered each week. Not cheap, but a lot less than the commuting money I'm not spending and equally necessary for work.

The best so far has been a Rwandan coffee I think, followed by a Guatemalan. Both had bourbon in the mix. I know nothing about varieties of beans and should fix this.
Feb 2022
10:17pm, 21 Feb 2022
287 posts
  •  
Hertford Tiger
Today’s coffee was from M&S, their Peruvian. A bit disappointed with it. Lacking in flavour.
Feb 2022
10:27pm, 21 Feb 2022
22,226 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
A Sunday foray pre-work at 08:00 to my nearest corner shop got me a bag of Taylor's Italian ground, 4 on the strength scale. Perfectly serviceable and a good result for a desperation buy.
Mar 2022
10:36am, 2 Mar 2022
3,216 posts
  •  
Fields
Quite enjoying the Cafe direct ground Machu pichu, nice chocolate tones.

I can’t say I’m a connoisseur, anyway it’s fine and about the limit of my price point. Perhaps I’ll look into beans and grinding in the future but I don’t know if I drink enough coffee for it to be worth it
Mar 2022
6:47pm, 2 Mar 2022
20,407 posts
  •  
flanker
That's my regular, everyday coffee, although as beans. If you have a local Coop they regularly have it on offer at £3 a bag.
Jun 2022
12:49pm, 7 Jun 2022
18,025 posts
  •  
larkim
Got a bit flambouyant recently. Vinyl wrapped both my Gaggia Classic and the Iberital grinder I use with it in a black matt finish to match the kitchen, but I've got a significant birthday coming up and whilst I love the grinder, it limits me to having only one coffee on the go at any one time and I'd like to get more adventurous.

So I've splurged on a Niche Zero grinder which is a single dose machine and easily adjustable between beans, so I should be able to a) get a good tasting drink b) go decaf in the evenings etc and c) spice things up with different roasts etc.

Complete luxury of course, but I do love a good cup of coffee and hopefully this will be an investment for life.
Jul 2022
1:51pm, 1 Jul 2022
25,543 posts
  •  
Dvorak
How did the Bodum Pebo work out, larkim?

About This Thread

Maintained by Red Squirrel
Non-tea drinker here and nowhere to talk about the caffeine bean, so I thought I'd start a thread. ...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.