A Good Cup of Coffee

74 watchers
Nov 2021
7:08pm, 15 Nov 2021
8,445 posts
  •  
sallykate
I bought some Columbian from these guys just now: mont58coffee.com

They're local to me and have a subscription service so I could get a bag delivered each week. It would help reassure me I never face a 6am coffee crisis! And I'd like to support a local business.

Not sure which one I'd go for regularly - I guess they could advise based on how I make and take my coffee.
Nov 2021
8:00pm, 15 Nov 2021
2 posts
  •  
Wilding2004
How can we check the rating of locally roasted coffees?

It's hard to be honest. But I would imagine nearly all small independent roasters are using high quality coffee beans, and supplying local coffee shops and high end bakeries etc.

The big coffee brands like Nescafe and Starbucks, are operating at the same level as Tesco, Asda etc. You wouldn't go to Tesco for a Michelin level meal, so don't think you'll get good coffee.

The thing that bugs me a bit, is that the coffee in the big chains and supermarket cafes, is usually more expensive than in the local coffee shop.
rhb
Nov 2021
10:00pm, 15 Nov 2021
1,833 posts
  •  
rhb
Hasbean lists cupping scores /100 on their coffee pages, is this the same score you're using Wilding2004 as reference?

If so, folks looking to broaden their horizons could do good to explore Hasbean (or Square Mile as an alternative that I find v.good quality, but doesn'tlist scores) as a gateway into the murkier world thar awaits...
rhb
Nov 2021
10:01pm, 15 Nov 2021
1,834 posts
  •  
rhb
Hasbean link example hasbean.co.uk
Nov 2021
10:21pm, 15 Nov 2021
3 posts
  •  
Wilding2004
Yes rhb, that's the same scoring system. There are 2 organisations that I know of who do the grading. The SCAA and the CQI.

To give some context, only 5% of all coffees are graded at 80 points or higher. The majority of coffee, 60% or so, falls between 50 and 75 points - this is where all the big global players are - those expensive Nespresso pods? same quality as the ones in Lidl or Aldi
Nov 2021
10:12am, 16 Nov 2021
59,698 posts
  •  
GlennR
None of those scores, of course, are worth a light unless they are produced using blind tasting, same as wine.

Not that anyone who cares about coffee is going to make it using a pod…
Nov 2021
11:09am, 16 Nov 2021
6 posts
  •  
Wilding2004
None of those scores, of course, are worth a light unless they are produced using blind tasting, same as wine. Not that anyone who cares about coffee is going to make it using a pod…
100%. Blind tasting is standard practice. And CQI tasters have their palettes tested regularly. It's quite similar to wine, but has been more flavour profiles.
Nov 2021
3:52pm, 16 Nov 2021
22,152 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
How can we check the rating of locally roasted coffees?

Ask on here, Wilding.
Nov 2021
3:53pm, 16 Nov 2021
22,153 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Hann, see northern soul thread for Brizzle trip bonus. Just about to post ...
Nov 2021
6:27pm, 16 Nov 2021
82,150 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Off to check...

About This Thread

Maintained by Red Squirrel
Non-tea drinker here and nowhere to talk about the caffeine bean, so I thought I'd start a thread. ...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.