A Good Cup of Coffee

74 watchers
Nov 2021
2:18pm, 5 Nov 2021
3,462 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I've never had Starbucks, but I am told it isn't as good as McDonalds. I've never been in a McDonalds, either, so who knows?

Costa coffee is horrible. Pret is about the best on the high street, M&S is OK, but surprisingly, Greggs is drinkable (and cheap). Obviously, taste is subjective, and other opinions are available.
Nov 2021
2:28pm, 5 Nov 2021
52,553 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Cafe Nero is the one I’d choose as least worst high street option
Nov 2021
2:33pm, 5 Nov 2021
15,959 posts
  •  
larkim
SB much better than MacDonalds - a league apart. Though I can only comment for coffee drunk black with no sugar; maybe latte / flat whites etc etc are better at McD.

Nero is OK but doesn't quite hit that bitterness and dark-roastedness that I enjoy. But each to their own!!
Nov 2021
2:45pm, 5 Nov 2021
3,464 posts
  •  
jacdaw
(I should have added... but if you are in Newcastle, just make the effort and go to Pink Lane or Flat Caps (unless you want bitter and dark roasted))
Nov 2021
2:49pm, 5 Nov 2021
15,962 posts
  •  
larkim
I'll have to remember that next time I'm in the Toon picking up eldest son from Uni. We usually end up at Aidan's Kitchen which whilst excellent for hipster brunch type stuff isn't quite as good at Americano.
Nov 2021
5:36pm, 5 Nov 2021
81,752 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I agree with DT, cafe Nero is the best of the bad lot.
I rarely have coffee out these days as I don't go anywhere any more... And often take my own with me in the car because 1- around here it is hard to get takeaway coffees. 2- I then do not have to negotiate the horror that are service stations.
When I went to the Netherlands from Harwich, I left at 3 am... So stopped somewhere at 6 am, halfway through the journey, to buy a coffee. It was so awful, I took one sip and ditched it :( Suppose not having had any crap coffee for so.long made it taste even worse than before.
Nov 2021
5:37pm, 5 Nov 2021
81,753 posts
  •  
Hanneke
It was Costa... Starbucks is just about OK if you force them to give you a triple shot in a medium cup...
Nov 2021
10:01pm, 5 Nov 2021
3,400 posts
  •  
Minnie Mad
Nero decaf is better than the regular stuff which I find bitter. Greggs is £1.65 for a latte and not bad at all. Bear is my new local favourite indie and it’s fantastic.
Nov 2021
10:13pm, 5 Nov 2021
81,759 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Indies are the way forwards.
Nov 2021
4:12pm, 6 Nov 2021
22,140 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I'm having probs with coffee out at the mo'. Not strong enough. I can rely on 3 baristas who get my cortado or piccolo completely right. A bakery, a deli and a local indie which has grown into a chain of 3. I'm so fussy and embarrassed about that!

About This Thread

Maintained by Red Squirrel
Non-tea drinker here and nowhere to talk about the caffeine bean, so I thought I'd start a thread. ...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.