A couple of questions about toe protectors for running

2 watchers
Mar 2019
10:02am, 18 Mar 2019
7,692 posts
  •  
GordonG
For the past couple of years I’ve started to get blisters right on the end of my toes on runs longer than about 10k. It doesn’t matter which trainers or socks I wear, I get blisters on the same toes each time.

About a year ago I bought some really cheap silicone toe protectors and at first they worked really well. But over the last couple of months (as I’ve upped my miles) they've stopped working so well.

I went online to see what else is on the market. There seems to be quite a range of silicone toe protectors, ranging from a couple of quid up to £20 but they all look exactly the same. So, two questions:

1 - Is there really any difference between the cheap silicone toe protectors and the expensive ones? After all, they’re all just silicone.
2 - Anyone got any recommendations for other sorts of toe protectors?

thanks
Mar 2019
3:58pm, 18 Mar 2019
4,559 posts
  •  
minardi
I use the silicon toe and the gel toe ones - all depends on the price on the day. They all seem pretty much a muchness and although the ones that look like gel filled plasters don't seem to last so long. With or without them, I still lose toe nails.
Mar 2019
10:15pm, 18 Mar 2019
1,461 posts
  •  
Oranj
I think they all lose their 'bounce' over time.

I broke a middle toe about 5 years ago and it's been sensitive ever since. I started out using the simple toe protectors from Boots, but have moved on to the ones that Wiggle sell wiggle.co.uk (don't forget to use the Fetch Wiggle link). I am not sure that anything more expensive would last any longer.
Mar 2019
2:27pm, 19 Mar 2019
7,693 posts
  •  
GordonG
thanks for these comments - can anyone else add anything?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by GordonG
For the past couple of years I’ve started to get blisters right on the end of my toes on runs long...