A cold has started a few days before a marathon.... what is best?

4 watchers
Oct 2019
10:00am, 2 Oct 2019
8,979 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I had a niggly throat towards end of last week for a couple of days but it didn't develop further, it seemed to disappear over the weekend but it was my 50th and we had a bit of a party so it may be the classic I was too busy to let it win.

However last night I was hit by the cold train. I feel like death warmed up. My head feels like a ton of bricks my shoulders & neck ache, it is a typical head cold. My legs felt it walking upstairs today and I have a bit of a runny nose, sneezes and little cough but nothing much more.

I am doing Loch Ness on Sunday with a friend, we have a cottage booked, trains booked and its all paid for. I had to pull last year with a broken foot so this year I am doing it. DNS is not an option, I was never going to be fast anyway and I don't care if I'm last over the finish, if I have too I will pull out on the way round but I'm hoping I can at least crawl to the end.

so my question to you wise and wonderful fetchies, is do I dose up on paracetamol and other such paraphernalia (I never take anything as I feel it drags it out and I'd rather just deal with it in a short as time possible) or do I just let it run its course as normal.

If the best thing is to dose up what do you recommend? thanks... :)
Oct 2019
10:36am, 2 Oct 2019
1,222 posts
  •  
oumaumau
Going off the thread title, what is best is to not run.

Appreciate you don't want to hear that, but if you prefer 'to just deal with it in a short as time possible', then running will not help with this....
Oct 2019
10:40am, 2 Oct 2019
32,574 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Depends how bad it is. I got a bad cold 2 days out from two marathons and still PB'd. You can't go back in time, but I'd have cancelled the party before I cancelled the marathon! Take 10 days in bed with all the cold remedies you can and you'd have hit the start line fine!

From here, as oumau says, you are probably touch and go. Every cold and flu remedy you can (I like paracetamol, all the lemon type drinks, honey, ecinachea etc.), complete bed rest, stay warm, stay hydrated, sleep lots. Reassess on Fri / Sat. If necessary go up and cheer your friend on start line and finish line. But don't do 4-5 plus hours of intense activity if you are feeling seriously croc. Not clever.

Very best wishes that it clears up for you. :-) G
Oct 2019
32,575 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
*2 weeks out, not 2 days out
Oct 2019
4,923 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I have no idea what is best, but I’m your situation I would also be feeling like not doing the race was not an option. I’d be resting as much as possible and dosing myself up with as much medication as I could get away with 😅
Oct 2019
10:45am, 2 Oct 2019
8,980 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Thanks, I know the right thing is not to run, but its not a cold cold its head only my head neck shoulders and arms ache. I am going, if necessary on the day I will do the cheering (and crying).

The groggy throat was around wed/thurs but it was gone on Friday. It only came back last night. Right paracetamol it is.... and gin?
Oct 2019
10:47am, 2 Oct 2019
32,577 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
No! (I know you're joking. Esp at 10:47am!) Hydrate, water, citrus fruit, vit c, honey etc. :-) G
Oct 2019
10:50am, 2 Oct 2019
8,981 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
gin with lemon then (I am joking honest) thanks G
Oct 2019
11:30am, 2 Oct 2019
2,311 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
Also sorry to say this but I am with oumaumau.
Oct 2019
11:32am, 2 Oct 2019
14,120 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I would add a note of caution about seeing how you genuinely feel on the day itself - a runner friend ran last year's Chester Marathon (her first), with a bad cold. It took her weeks to recover from the cold never mind the marathon as she made herself really quite ill. Your body is working to fight off a virus - putting it through a marathon on top of that isn't sensible. I hope you recover but do take care.

About This Thread

Maintained by geordiegirl
I had a niggly throat towards end of last week for a couple of days but it didn't develop furth...