A coaching thread

69 watchers
Aug 2020
5:27pm, 25 Aug 2020
328 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
Just to clarify a little further - LiRF's are insured to provide 1:12 run leadership. This can and should include warm-up / cool-down activities, running appropriate paces / distances for the group they are leading. They can lead a run in any format, be it run / walk, social jogging, group paced running, threshold / tempo running, interval running, hills and any other method of running you can think of.
Aug 2020
5:30pm, 25 Aug 2020
15,170 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
My understanding was that as a LiRF you could deliver any training session devised by or in consultation with a CiRF? Or something like that! You shouldn't present a training plan to an athlete though for example?
Aug 2020
5:31pm, 25 Aug 2020
329 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
@Al - I suspect it's the same for many clubs. Indeed in my own club we are just starting to put together the plans to return to some sort of formal club running activities.

I think for many clubs the extra paperwork required around COVID-19 risk management is putting off a few. Plus many older coaches, leaders, and / or runners, may well be vulnerable, or live with someone who is vulnerable.

That would undoubtedly be concern for some coaches I know well.
Aug 2020
5:34pm, 25 Aug 2020
15,172 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Yes - we do have a couple who are shielding and very nervous which I do sympathise with. To be fair we aren't inundated with runners at the moment either, a lot are still staying away.
Aug 2020
5:46pm, 25 Aug 2020
330 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
@Al - "My understanding was that as a LiRF you could deliver any training session devised by or in consultation with a CiRF?"

My understanding is that officially a Coaching Assistant (CA) is insured to do that, but the CA would need to be supervised by a suitably qualified coach (CiRF / EGC) at the session.

I think the LiRF is officially only insured to lead a group of runners. At least that is what I was told by EA when I was working with a road running club to revamp a junior section (but that was 8 years ago so it may of changed since then).

That said - we know that a LiRF is insured to lead a group of up to 12 runners (aged 13 and above) and that the run can be in any format. Say for example your LiRF spoke with a qualified coach and the coach said "This session of interval reps are good" and then the LiRF chose to use that session I am VERY confident that there would be no issue with this, as long as the session was something too silly.

So in short - you should be fine as long as it's nothing too silly.
Aug 2020
5:47pm, 25 Aug 2020
158 posts
  •  
Big_G
In my club, we have a mix of LiRF and CiRF, plus a few run leaders who take out social runs. Really what is on offer at my club is not "coaching". The coach co-ordinator does a huge amount of work devising the sessions and allocating coaches to those sessions, and those coaches lead the sessions....but apart from maybe one or exceptions, they don't really "coach". This isn't really a dig at my club as it's a great club, but it's just an observation really. Also, I have to say, anybody with any real talent generally goes elsewhere for coaching or to find people of their ability to run with, or coaches themselves.

We did get the paperwork sorted quite easily for Covid in the end. We've also put in a booking system for members to book onto the sessions, which has proved invaluable. Prior to Covid of course people just turned up and didn't have to announce in advance if they were coming, but for Covid we needed to know numbers so we weren't potentially oversubscribed on the night. I came across a system that allows members to book - and importantly, cancel - their own sessions so it takes any messing around out of it. It's amazing how many people book on and then later cancel a booking, so managing that on something like facebook wouldn't be feasible for us - it's something I hadn't really realised would be an important feature! Then, the Covid co-ordinator prints out the list of people who are attending the sessions and signs them in. If there is a no show or someone else turns up who hasn't booked on, he manages that on the night. The system costs $15pm (plus $3 tax), but for us it's worth it. I set it up and it looks after itself now in terms of the next week's sessions being made available, managing the bookings, emailing out reminders, closing the system at a certain time, etc. I don't have to do anything manually now it's set up.

I think I said before but we usually have sessions on Mondays and Wednesdays but due to Covid we weren't able to get enough coaches to sign up, so we're down to just Wednesdays at the moment. But it's working well so far.
Aug 2020
5:50pm, 25 Aug 2020
331 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
@Big_G - that software sounds good, if you don't mind, can you share the app name - it might be of use to other clubs.
Aug 2020
6:32pm, 25 Aug 2020
4,607 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Thanks everyone, really helpful.
Aug 2020
6:54pm, 25 Aug 2020
28,155 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
one of my clubs uses the run together app...works well enough now after a few early teething troubles. my other club just uses email/facebook and has had all sorts of problems...so that sw sounds useful.

likewise coaching....the app is good and the coach coordinator does a lot of work but then there is a huge disconnect to what actually gets coached. i.e. not much...same sort of sessions..same advice. I was able to take 6 weeks on the trot and had roughly the same 5 people...so I could reiterate points, build in progression...get the warm ups done well and talk to them how to organise their running work to work...that has been very good. Away for 3 weeks now so that will all go.....
Aug 2020
7:19pm, 25 Aug 2020
332 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
@WS - I was thinking about the Run Together app as a potential option for my club. I would be keen to hear a little more on how you used it, the good, the bad, and the fugly.

About This Thread

Maintained by Autumnleaves
A thread for the various coaches and run group leaders here to share thoughts, experiences & good ideas!