A coaching thread

69 watchers
Aug 2020
12:56pm, 22 Aug 2020
35,053 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Yes I have lost interest as well the club seemed to be full of ‘coaches’ with their own agenda
Aug 2020
5:30pm, 23 Aug 2020
325 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
@HoD - do you hold a CiRF or is it a Coaching Assistant (CA) or Leadership in Running Futness (LiRF)?

If it's a CiRF you could just run your own group.
Aug 2020
6:25pm, 23 Aug 2020
35,056 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
It’s the first one LIRF I think 🙈
Aug 2020
10:43am, 24 Aug 2020
326 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
@Hod - Damn, I was gonna suggest that you just take charge of a group on your own, but given that the LiRF license is not a coaching license you're not insured for that!

Is there another coach in your club that has a similar ethos to you? Maybe you could start working closer with them?
Aug 2020
9:05pm, 24 Aug 2020
4,601 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Is that really true SoD?

"(LiRF) This qualification will provide you with insurance to lead a group within the limits of the course content"
rhb
Aug 2020
12:31am, 25 Aug 2020
1,474 posts
  •  
rhb
^ "the course content" for LiRF is limited to leading run groups, not coaching specifics.
Aug 2020
10:12am, 25 Aug 2020
4,604 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
For the dim-witted, what is the difference? During LiRF we did warm-up, running a session and warm-down.
Aug 2020
3:11pm, 25 Aug 2020
107 posts
  •  
Phill_Young
Jumping in on the LiRF v CiRF questions, a club I coached at have stated the rule on 12 per group only applies to a coach and not a leader who's numbers are unlimited, something I disagree with but thought I'd see what the thoughts in the group are. The leaders with LiRF at the club all take sessions that involve intervals, hill reps etc.
Aug 2020
5:19pm, 25 Aug 2020
327 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
LiRF have the 1:12 ratio...bullet point 5 on page 2 of the document linked below states:

"An individual coach or leader can carry out a coaching session with up to twelve athletes or runners and then coach or lead another group of up to twelve athletes or runners after the conclusion of the first session" Link Below ->

d192th1lqal2xm.cloudfront.net

In relation to difference between CiRF and LiRF - a LiRF can lead a group of runners aged 13 and upwards for a run. This will typically include stuff like warm-up, and cool-down (at least it should do). A LiRF is also insured to provide running "advice" but is NOT insured to provide coaching. It seems a little daft I know...I mean I suspect we all know of at least one person who is neither a LiRF nor a CiRF who coaches runners.

I think the issue is that in many road running clubs there is very little difference between the actual activities of a LiRF or a CiRF. And here's where I get a little controversial - We need CiRF's to step up to the plate and do more!!! I know too many people who spend the time, money, and effort to gain a coaching qualification, then do jack s**t with it!!! They will simply attend their running club on a club night, and maybe lead a group of runners out for a paced run and call that coaching...that is what a LiRF does. A coach should be looking to work with runners, the club, the committee etc. finding out their wants / needs, then formulating a plan to help drive progression forward for the runner(s) they work with etc.

BTW - That was not a dig at any specific coaches, leaders, or volunteers on here - just an observation of what I have seen when I have traveled to road running, harrier, and athletics clubs up-and-down the country. Indeed I would say that some of the folk on this forum are more proactive, plan more, and are keen to do their very best to help runners, running groups, and clubs with their running, coaching, and planning.

Right, I'll climb down off my soap box now....and pray I haven't offended anyone one here (if I have it was not my attention).
Aug 2020
5:24pm, 25 Aug 2020
15,168 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I'm not offended :) as you say, there are plenty of very good coaches who don't have a piece of paper. Currently quite frustrated with some of our older club coaches at the moment who are opting put of everything and the rest of us are pretty stretched.

About This Thread

Maintained by Autumnleaves
A thread for the various coaches and run group leaders here to share thoughts, experiences & good ideas!