A coaching thread

1 lurker | 69 watchers
Aug 2020
10:19pm, 15 Aug 2020
35,042 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
We tend to 4-5 per group I seem to be put with the 9-11s. The sessions are very basic usually working in pairs like paarluf relays etc. There doesn’t seem to be much coaching going on just people shouting. I try and give sensible advice but we’ve got people there with next to zero experience and knowledge in both coaching and running.

Unqualified without any desire to get qualified just wiling helpers really.
Aug 2020
11:31am, 16 Aug 2020
323 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
If I were coaching in a group structured such a way I would be looking to formulate change with the junior athletes.

All respected information on developing young athletes suggest that running / endurance is a late development sport, as such athletes under the age of 14 should really be looking to build the A,B,C's (agility, balance, coordination) and coaches should be providing a structure based around multi-dimensional movement patterns along the lines of the Athletics 365 program. I would most definitely NOT be coaching just running for that age group.

Do you have the same athletes in your group week-on-week? If so, you could take charge of that group and have them working / developing the A.B.C's in a game format. It is pretty straight forward, there's loads of resources provided by EA on the Athletics 365 program that gives coaches loads of content that if put together with a little thought and planning, will develop the athletes in a format that they will enjoy.

If you want, ping me on fB and we can have a phone chat.
Aug 2020
12:29pm, 16 Aug 2020
35,047 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Yes I think that’s better mate there a bit of a power ‘struggle’ in our club you get very little input in the coaching. I’d be better at an athletic club not a running club. Loads of the promising runners go to other clubs for proper coaching.
Aug 2020
12:32pm, 16 Aug 2020
4,564 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
"Basically being a glorified baby sitter" and because our fees are so low, it is a very cheap baby sitter.

Perhaps our club is not the 'norm' but I guess less than 25% actual want to develop?
Aug 2020
12:00am, 17 Aug 2020
35,048 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
FR do you do same in.your club ?
Aug 2020
9:28am, 17 Aug 2020
324 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
I'm always curious when someone says to me they're not interested in developing as an athlete, and I wonder if it's just a 'road running club' thing.

In most sports clubs the junior members are quite keen to develop. I see that in football, rugby, swimming, and athletics. Yet in the road running club environment we tend to see a significant number of the junior members show a lack of interest in developing. One has to ask why? My thoughts are that in road running clubs the membership is made up primarily of kids who's parents are members, and they tend to just do running with their junior members. The kids don't really want to be there because they're being coached like mini-adults and don't enjoy the sessions.

I have seen first hand the impact of changing the junior section in a road running club from just running to athletics 365 based games. We did that at my club back in 2011.

Prior to me being involved with the junior section we would typically see around 8-10 kids turn up and just run every week. Around once a month they'd do a time trial and the kids looked pretty miserable throughout the sessions.

When I flipped it onto it's head, and split things into 3 groups (Fundamentals, Foundation, Event Specific) and based this around the Athletics 365 curriculum we quickly found that the kids were really engaged, they were telling their friends, and membership shot up from 8-10 regulars, to having in excess of 30 most weeks. Some of the junior members were still not too fussed about running however, as coaches we were developing their multi-directional skills, movement patterns, and they were actually getting fitter, faster, stronger week on week through games they enjoyed playing. Some of the members continued in running and indeed one of the successes from the junior section went on to run at English Schools XC, and also a sub 17 minute 5k at u17.

The challenge is though, putting something like the Athletics 365 program for a road running club is a strange concept for many. Road runners typically like to run, and that's all they do. Also it does take a little planning from the coaching team to deliver an effective A365 program.
Aug 2020
2:40pm, 20 Aug 2020
138 posts
  •  
wildebeast
Does anyone know how the England athletics insurance works for lirf coaches when they are leading a group.
If its c25k and none are members of a club does a £2 sub per week = temporary membership to a club and then they are covered?
Also is there a limit on numbers for such groups.
Ta.
Aug 2020
8:12pm, 20 Aug 2020
15,153 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
As far as I am aware, if you follow their guidance for risk assessments etc you are covered regardless of club. I have a runtogether group - they aren't members of anything.
Aug 2020
8:13pm, 20 Aug 2020
15,154 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Sorry meant to say - best practice is 12 per leader/coach
Aug 2020
10:02am, 21 Aug 2020
4,576 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
HoD, not sure I'm answering the question... But as a running club, the kids who want to develop are almost to the person focussed on running. When we have mixed it up they didn't show interest in athletics.

Also since we've been based at the astro numbers have declined. The appeal seemed to be running around the city on carefully planned 'safe' routes. From my experience they seem to enjoy not being confined to one location.

About This Thread

Maintained by Autumnleaves
A thread for the various coaches and run group leaders here to share thoughts, experiences & good ideas!