A coaching thread

69 watchers
Jan 2020
9:59am, 17 Jan 2020
14,545 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Increasingly, I would be interested in knowing more about cross training, building a training plan that balances running with other exercise - but where I know more about the purpose behind the non running, and also allowing for sufficient rest and recovery.
Jan 2020
10:16am, 22 Jan 2020
289 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
Bringing in weights / strength / core work can be quite demanding for some runners (especially if they've never done it before). If a runner I coach starts a new programme or exercise class that they are unfamiliar with I always look to drop the intensity and volume of running work over the first few weeks.

This allows the athlete and myself to review the impact and load of the extra training, and plan adjustments in their programme going forward. Failing to do so *can* be an expressway to injury as the athlete(s) will potentially be taking in load and forces through muscles, tendons, ligaments in a way that the body is not familiar with. Plus they may end up causing additional damage to their body on a "rest" day!
Feb 2020
1:37pm, 3 Feb 2020
290 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
Wow, that was a busy weekend away...well done to all the athletes.

Feb 2020
1:40pm, 3 Feb 2020
14,588 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
:)
Feb 2020
10:56pm, 10 Feb 2020
101 posts
  •  
Phill_Young
Has anyone in the group helped a runner with Vocal Cord Dysfunction? I am helping a lady in our running club who has been diagnosed with this, mainly running with her to help build her confidence, she has researched and found a technique called sniff breathing, which helps her to regain her proper breathing pattern when the VCD happens.

She has had various tests and been told she is ok to run and it may go away on it's own but no real treatment available.
Seems to be quite a rare condition so possibly no one has come across it but thought worth asking :)
Feb 2020
3:30pm, 12 Feb 2020
291 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
@Phil - Sorry, not heard of that one before. I can dig around my contacts in EA to see if anyone else has come across an athlete with this condition however, being so rare I suspect I'll struggle to find anyone who has.
Feb 2020
10:11pm, 12 Feb 2020
102 posts
  •  
Phill_Young
Thanks @SODIron, I thought it would be unlikely anyone had come across it before, but if anyone in EA has come across it would be good to find out how they helped their athlete.
Feb 2020
11:00pm, 12 Feb 2020
5,802 posts
  •  
TeeBee
Phil. Your post reminded me of this thread I started in 2012. I didn't have it, though.
fetcheveryone.com/forum__50489__1__vocal_cord_dysfunction
Feb 2020
6:02pm, 13 Feb 2020
103 posts
  •  
Phill_Young
Thanks @TeeBee, I'll share that with her and see if I can find the article mentioned in one of the posts.
Mar 2020
5:38pm, 14 Mar 2020
14,669 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Can I ask for people's thoughts on those of our runners who expected to run marathons in the next few weeks and now aren't - what best to suggest for their training? Treat recent weeks as base building? Look for short term goals that aren't linked to races? Personally I've looked for a 'fitness building' plan that isn't tied to a race distance. I am hoping the Tour of Merseyside will be ok - not till end of June and pretty small, but who knows.

About This Thread

Maintained by Autumnleaves
A thread for the various coaches and run group leaders here to share thoughts, experiences & good ideas!