A coaching thread

69 watchers
Nov 2014
9:35am, 18 Nov 2014
5,014 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Having recently done my Leader in Running Fitness and started coaching at my club, I know there are a fair few Fetchies who coach other runners in various ways. I've had many helpful tips on my blog or via other threads but I thought maybe a thread where we can share tips or sessions that have been a particular success might be an idea. I couldn't find an obvious one to revive so I thought I'd start one!

I coach our middle group of runners at the weekly track session on Tuesday nights. Numbers are anything from about 8 to over 20. Ability ranges from those capable of sub-4 minute km to those at just over 5 minute km pace - which is quite a big gap. I therefore tend to prefer using timed intervals rather than distance for our speedwork sessions - and the feedback so far suggests the runners find it better too. Does anyone have any fun warm-up ideas? Ours are becoming rather routine and too many runners chat their way through without really paying enough attention!
Nov 2014
10:41am, 18 Nov 2014
23,176 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I am going to watch this thread, because I'm thinking about doing some coaching badges to help the kids out. Give a bit back and all that. Is it adults you coach or kids. Sounds like adults to me.

Our track warm ups are a lap of gentle run, then high knees, butt kicks, side skips, short sprints etc. Stretches at end, not start. :-) G
Nov 2014
10:57am, 18 Nov 2014
5,015 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
All adults - the occasional teen gets brought along with a parent. Our warm-up is similar - building up from a gentle walk/jog - usually 2 laps in total, we do stretches at the end - either incorporated into a final cool down lap or I do a routine with them inside the pavilion.
Nov 2014
1:36pm, 18 Nov 2014
892 posts
  •  
stuart little
I'll be watching this thread too :)

With my Monday speed sessions, I tend to have a fairly fixed warm up of a jog, mobility work, drills and then either mini hurdles or ladders and a few strides. Initially, I simply included a few drills into the mobility work, so that people didn't realise that we were doing something different :)

Alternatively performing sections of mobility work as part of the jogging lap can keep short attention spans engaged.
Nov 2014
9:38pm, 18 Nov 2014
5,020 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
My session tonight went well - scheduled was 5 x 1000m at 5k pace with 2 minute recoveries, but in my group there is about 1 minute's difference between the fastest & slowest runners' 5k pace - so I decided to timed efforts instead. 5 x 5 minutes. The fastest did just over 1200m, the slowest - who was by far the
most consistent - did 1000m. I timed and called out lap times as they passed me. Apart from being freezing by the end, it was fine :)
Nov 2014
7:51am, 19 Nov 2014
893 posts
  •  
stuart little
Sounds good AL, As I have a wide range of abilities I tend to do everything by time - either like you've done last night and equating a 5 x 1km session to 5 x 5 minutes or do fixed distance reps for a set period, so on monday we were doing hill reps on a ~250 m incline, so it was hard up, jog back for 30 minutes - that way everyone feels like they're doing the same session, but allows me to scale the session to everyone who is there.
Nov 2014
11:29am, 19 Nov 2014
23,180 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
On a track, the different speed groups can just lap each other, eventually. Works out fine. :-) G
Nov 2014
11:42am, 19 Nov 2014
894 posts
  •  
stuart little
It does if you have a track ;)
Nov 2014
1:49pm, 19 Nov 2014
23,185 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Also works on up and down routes - I am not a coach, but when I had to do intervals from my plan, I would sometimes ask if anyone at club wanted to come with me and we'd be anything from 5 - 15. I said to them to run to a certain point (e.g. 600m, 800m, 1km) away (I was usually in first group) then hung a jacket. Told them to jog/walk around in circles for the required recovery period, then set off back down again. Then everyone would be criss crossing going up and down the road. The fast guys again would eventually end up lapping the slower ones and sometimes do an extra rep or two. Everyone gather together at the end and jog back to the original meeting place. That worked too! :_) G
Nov 2014
1:50pm, 19 Nov 2014
23,186 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
:-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Autumnleaves
A thread for the various coaches and run group leaders here to share thoughts, experiences & good ideas!