920XT and accuracy running indoors

1 watcher
Oct 2016
8:43pm, 12 Oct 2016
4,799 posts
  •  
Winded
I tried a treadmill LSR today using my 920XT. I have run a bit with it but not a huge amount ()but I ran on the same treadmill the other day and it didn't seem far out. Today when the watch ticked over 10 miles of steady slowish LSR with a couple of "walk through the water station" breaks - well the treadmill only read 15.58km instead of 16.1ish.

Does anyone know how accurate the 920 is supposed to be indoors or whether I need a few hundred outside miles to calibrate it properly. I read the DC Rainmaker review and it seemed it should be a bit more accurate. Should I think the watch is likely to be closer than the treadmill?
Oct 2016
9:59pm, 12 Oct 2016
69 posts
  •  
Sweetie
Has it had an update? I find every time I get an update it re-sets to the default (I am much slower than it reckons I should be!) and you have to run outside again for it to re-calibrate to your actual pace.
Oct 2016
10:03pm, 12 Oct 2016
11,436 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
10 miles on a treadmill?!!

I take it you work on a rig in the North Sea?
Oct 2016
10:06pm, 12 Oct 2016
4,803 posts
  •  
Winded
I don't think it has had an update - if it has it hasn't told me about it. The treadmill might be off a bit- it is only a 3 or 4% difference - maybe I'm expecting too much from the technology.
Oct 2016
10:07pm, 12 Oct 2016
4,804 posts
  •  
Winded
No Angus - I'm out of AAA batteries so my head torch is dead and it was raining and cold and getting dark and I don't see why I should make myself uncomfortable when I don't have to.
Oct 2016
10:11pm, 12 Oct 2016
70 posts
  •  
Sweetie
The figures you're talking about Winded - it's not a huge difference to be fair - the indoor figure is just an estimate based on how much distance you would typically travel in the same timeframe when you're outside - but if you do long slow runs outside and then do an interval session on the treadmill it will always be a bit off.

After an update it reckons I am doing a 25 min 5k on the treadmill when actually I am nearer 30 mins - so it can be waaaaay off! but the more your run outside the more accurate it gets inside (until the next update!)
Oct 2016
10:24pm, 12 Oct 2016
4,805 posts
  •  
Winded
Ah - thanks Sweetie. That makes sense.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Winded
I tried a treadmill LSR today using my 920XT. I have run a bit with it but not a huge amount ()but I...