60 plus - still stormin' (and/or struggling)

5 lurkers | 56 watchers
May 2022
5:43pm, 16 May 2022
1,078 posts
  •  
forest plodder
Welcome to the newbies.
Scnecke, I also have arthritis in my knee. Luckily it gives me little pain provided I don't run on hard surfaces.
I'm trying to get out to run three times a week. I was doing lots of quite long walks with the OH, but sadly his second hip has just gone (much more suddenly than the first) which has curtailed that for the time being. He's on the list for a replacement, hopefully early autumn.
May 2022
8:01am, 17 May 2022
17,450 posts
  •  
jennywren
Sorry to hear about your husband’s hip FP - hope he doesn’t have too long a wait.
May 2022
8:24am, 17 May 2022
19,836 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Very much in the struggling camp right now. Two years without a suggestion of a cold or Covid or any other illness come to that ... and I come down with a heavy cold ten days before my first athletic meet of the season.
May 2022
8:30am, 17 May 2022
19,837 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Am still trying to storm though.

Won my first 100m of the season by 2 seconds last night... with one of my slowest ever times. Ho hum, such is the life of a Vets athlete.

Also won my age group discus, was second in long jump, couldn't get my run-up right for high jump so probably fourth. I 'was'. jumping in the 50s age group however - and I'm 69 now. My club has no jumpers.

I'd generally be far more disappointed with the jumps and the 100 but getting through all four events while still carrying the remnants of this wretched cold - which made breathing not much fun - felt like an achievement of sorts.

I could tell I had no 'oomph' - the prerequisite for all my events. You don't DO much breathing on a 100m ... but I would normally give it a lot more welly!
May 2022
9:18am, 17 May 2022
17,451 posts
  •  
jennywren
Sorry to hear you’ve been poorly Sharkie, hope you get back to full health soon.
May 2022
9:07pm, 17 May 2022
21,746 posts
  •  
Columba
jennywren, I don't think this thread has an upper age limit (referring back to your post a couple of pages ago). I hope it doesn't, anyway.
May 2022
9:11pm, 17 May 2022
19,843 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Well I started it and at 69 wouldn't be able to stay very long if that was the case!
May 2022
9:12pm, 17 May 2022
17,452 posts
  •  
jennywren
No I know! I was joking. There aren’t enough of us (yet) to have our own over 70 thread!
May 2022
9:16pm, 17 May 2022
19,844 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I am often to be found on various threads (and in my daily blog, obvs) carolling the benefits of strength (ie resistance training) for all women - but particularly for post menopausal women.

It's never too late to start - there is good evidence of 80 plus year olds improving their strength. There is also very good evidence of the benefits.
May 2022
9:20pm, 17 May 2022
19,845 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I also agree with Jenny that a good PT or coach is worth their weight in gold if you find the right one. And it's worth putting bit of effort into that search.

My coach has absolutely rekindled my desire to 'do' athletics. I probably prefer training to competing, although competition is kind of part of it. I love learning new things - another hobby horse of mine ('hobby' - geddit?)

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
Here's my latest wizard wheeze. A running/training/competing/whatevering thread specifically fo...