60 plus - still stormin' (and/or struggling)

3 lurkers | 57 watchers
May 2022
11:12am, 15 May 2022
7,602 posts
  •  
Schnecke
Greetings all stormers - it's been a while since I was here. I was diagnosed with knee arthritis last year and it put me comprehensively out of action for about a year. It was a pretty bad time and I couldn't even walk far without being in quite a lot of pain, it sometimes woke me up at night too. Doctor wasn't very encouraging, just telling me I had to live with it, basically. Did get referred for physio, which was a telephone consultation due to ongoing Covid restrictions, but I did stick with the exercises, which I'm still doing 4 times a week as they did seem to help (although it may just be a coincidence and it was not running at all for many months that actually allowed the knee to recover.) I actually have arthritis in both knees, but running on a softer surface and using decent knee supports definitely helps. I helped with a C25K group at the running club from January this year, and also followed the programme myself as my knees seemed to be better and the pain has now gone, thankfully (fingers firmly crossed, as I know that it might come back at any time.) It's been a huge struggle, I can't deny it. Just when I felt I was beginning to get a bit of speed back I started to feel really exhausted and everything felt like a massive, impossible effort. Went out to do short runs (usually no more than 5k) and had to keep stopping as breathing awful and absolutely no energy. I did wonder if I'd had Covid without realising it, but I was testing twice a week until end of April, and have done a few tests since then - always negative. I did manage 4.5 (slow) miles this morning, so I'm feeling a bit more positive - did have to stop a few times but kept going. Knees are generally ok now if I'm careful, but other problems now exercising my mind - thinking of seeing if I can get a doctor's appt to get a blood test to check if I'm lacking something (other than speed and ability ;-) ) - I did give blood a few weeks ago and haemoglobin was fine ....... Very interested to hear how the strength training is going for those doing that - I know I really need to do some of that, but need to find the right PT to motivate me.
May 2022
9:29pm, 15 May 2022
21,743 posts
  •  
Columba
Schneke, your post reminds me I ought to do at least some strength work regularly.

I always wear a support on my left knee when running, on account of its being arthritic. And can’t manage much more than 5k at a time these days, always feeling for the first 10 minutes or so that I’m on the point of expiring. And rarely run more than twice a week.
May 2022
9:50pm, 15 May 2022
7,717 posts
  •  
minardi
Just spotted this thread and realised I should stick my head in and say hello, as my dreaded birthday a couple of weeks ago pushed me across the line. Not happy about it one little bit.
May 2022
10:38pm, 15 May 2022
1,605 posts
  •  
Silvershadow
Like Minardi I have had my birthday a few weeks ago and am now eligible for this thread.
*waves* to Stormers
May 2022
7:45am, 16 May 2022
17,448 posts
  •  
jennywren
At 71 I’m a bit too grown up for this thread perhaps ;)

I’ve had arthritis for quite a few years and had a hip replacement 5 1/2 years ago which gave me a new lease of life. I ran a few half marathons after that but more recently have taken to fast hiking rather than doing much running. I’ve started doing strength training about three times a week (once with a PT) and it’s beginning to make a real difference. Can’t recommend it enough.

One thing I’ve done over the last few years is to try to run much more on my mid/forefoot. Landing lightly makes far more difference to my arthritic knee than what surface I run on. I wear Altras now and find them so comfortable. I walk in them too - did. 21 mile hilly charity walk recently with no knee pain (no blisters either!) in just under 6 hours.

There’s nothing about turning 60 to be scared of! 70 is a bit more challenging but better than the alternative, no?
May 2022
9:20am, 16 May 2022
18,172 posts
  •  
3M (aka MarkyMarkMark)
Welcome, newbies! 60 is great - you can make excuses around being older without really feeling it inside!

Fully agree with your last sentence jennywren!

My Dad would have been 90 today - he died at the age of 63. Basically died of a lifestyle that involved minimal exercise, large amounts of tobacco, alcohol and after my parents' divorced, more of the above with additional grease. :-o

I hope to still be running/moving well for a long while yet!
May 2022
12:57pm, 16 May 2022
7,603 posts
  •  
Schnecke
Columba - glad to hear it's not just me who feels like that at the start of a run.

Welcome Minardi and Silvershadow - you are still just spring chickens in my estimation ;-)

Jennywren - your commitment inspires me to actually make an effort to start some proper strength training and find a PT! I also discovered Altras a few years ago, and use them as trail shoes - I found the zero drop takes a bit of getting used to, but they are very comfortable. My friend borrowed mine once when we were going out walking and she'd forgotten her shoes - she liked them so much she immediately ordered her own, and she's not even a runner!
May 2022
1:16pm, 16 May 2022
14,187 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I love my altras very comfortable for walking and running
May 2022
1:56pm, 16 May 2022
17,449 posts
  •  
jennywren
The right PT is really important I think. I fail to do it by myself but committing to an hour once a week with him means I also do a couple of (short) sessions at home as well. They don’t have to be runners either - mine is a body builder!
May 2022
2:41pm, 16 May 2022
737 posts
  •  
ageingtractor
My first time posting on here despite being at the far end of the entry decade.

I'm finding that walking is playing an increasing part in my activity but have still managed to enter a few running events this year. Last year was my largest ever annual mileage but have suffered a bit with achilles issues this year. I still intend to run one marathon a year until I am 70 if I can so only three more to go (one booked for later this year).

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
Here's my latest wizard wheeze. A running/training/competing/whatevering thread specifically fo...