60 plus - still stormin' (and/or struggling)

57 watchers
16 Feb
1:00pm, 16 Feb 2024
22,371 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Hello all. Like several of us I'm an over 70 now (71) and neither stormin' nor struggling as I seem to have given up the hard training required to be competitive in track and field.

It's mainly about ballet and contemporary dance for me right now - more almost daily training (at least three 90 minute classes a week) mentally and physically challenging ... just not as affected by the weather.

Its kind of nice not to have to half kill myself running 200m reps in the depths of winter but I have realised I will miss track if I give it up entirely. Strangely enough -although track is very different from running off road in beautiful countryside (although equally traffic free!) - it was never really about competition for me. Yep it gave focus but I always enjoyed a good training session on a sunny Sunday a lot more than the nerves and hanging around at track meets.

Especially Vets track meets where everyone moans about injuries and how good they USED to be. I don't want to be that person!
16 Feb
1:01pm, 16 Feb 2024
22,372 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Meant to say 'it was never really about competition for me EITHER'.
17 Feb
5:24pm, 17 Feb 2024
2,310 posts
  •  
forest plodder
Hope you get an answer about the hip Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs). Just to say that, if it comes to it, my husband has had both his replaced, and recovered quickly and well, back to all his former activities.
17 Feb
5:52pm, 17 Feb 2024
40,702 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Thank you forest plodder, luckily my bone density is good, it's trochanteric bursitis which is causing the pain.
17 Feb
6:16pm, 17 Feb 2024
39,667 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Forgive me if you've already tried this Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs) but I saw a physio who did myofascial release all the way up and down my leg when I had this some years ago. I was sceptical, but the bursitis did clear up after 4 weekly sessions (and clam shell exercises in between).
17 Feb
7:05pm, 17 Feb 2024
18,061 posts
  •  
UltraDunc
I had Ischial Bursitis quite a few years ago and is probably nothing like what you’re struggling with Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs). I managed to find a physio who was an ex Prison PT and he fixed it with some very strong and painful manipulation! Never been troubled since or seen him either! I just hope that you can find an answer to your own issue 🙏
17 Feb
9:33pm, 17 Feb 2024
40,703 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Thank you both, physio has not worked for me unfortunately.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
Here's my latest wizard wheeze. A running/training/competing/whatevering thread specifically fo...