5k swim challenge - any takers?

12 watchers
Jul 2021
2:24pm, 11 Jul 2021
12,968 posts
  •  
ITG ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Mine was totes legit. I don't run that slowly, even on a bad day. But it was a pool swim so can't be compared to open water.
Jul 2021
4:41pm, 14 Jul 2021
26,442 posts
  •  
JulesR
Edged my swim distance up to 3.7k and a touch speedier in the same Loch but different direction.

Iโ€™d meant to swim further but faster friends disappeared up the Loch so I played safe with a direct route.

One of my swim chums with me swam 5k by zig zagging a bit - she used fins but no neoprene, so I suppose that balances out.

Beautiful day up here in Scotland and flat calm when we swam - quite choppy on collecting stuff after at the start point:)
Jul 2021
10:02am, 19 Jul 2021
11 posts
  •  
Hobie
I did a '5k' open water event yesterday (Garmin said 4.75, which I think was probably about right, but I always allow for some rounding issues with OW swims). It was a qualifier for another event in a couple of weeks' time, to prove that we could swim the distance in the 2 hour window during which the tide will be slackish for the main event.

It's the furthest I've ever swum in open water, so I went in with a lot of nerves about whether I could manage it and even more nerves about not making the cut off. I was too focused to really enjoy it (I really wanted to make the cut off time), but I did find it very satisfying.

I finished in 1hr 37. Going into the event I had been hoping to achieve about 1:50, so was delighted by this. I also beat a woman in my swim squad who regularly thrashes me in the pool by almost 10 minutes. I've always known I'm built more for endurance than sprinting, but hadn't really realised by how much. I also recognised that I might have been holding back a little in training. I managed to break my pool-based 100, 400, 800, 1km and 1 mile times along the way - albeit in a wetsuit and with no turns, so it's not a particularly meaningful comparison.

I'm looking forward to a more relaxed main event in a couple of weeks' time, weather permitting.
Jul 2021
11:26am, 19 Jul 2021
13,003 posts
  •  
ITG ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ธ
That's an absolutely brilliant performance, Hobie! I never OW swim so I cannot compare to the pool - I know there are some advantages from the wetsuit and potentially current, but also disadvantages of moving water and not getting the little pushes off the wall ever 25m or 50m.
Jul 2021
12:09pm, 19 Jul 2021
30,093 posts
  •  
Sushi.
My tri club has been able to restart it's ow training so maybe I'll be able to get enough water time for 5k now.
Jul 2021
12:15pm, 19 Jul 2021
30,094 posts
  •  
Sushi.
Well don't Hobie.

Thats great going
Jul 2021
2:57pm, 21 Jul 2021
26,480 posts
  •  
JulesR
Did my 5k swim down Loch Lubnaig today just with a trisuit & fins.

Not fast - 5.6k took 2:12 including short pauses after halfway for navigation.

It went: Weeds, weeds, flat calm easy, choppy, choppy, nearly toast.

I miss my wetsuit, but water was nicely warm & sun came out halfway down.

Thatโ€™s the furthest Iโ€™ve ever swum non-wetsuit:)
Jul 2021
3:04pm, 21 Jul 2021
30,103 posts
  •  
Sushi.
Well done Jules.
Jul 2021
3:05pm, 21 Jul 2021
26,696 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
top swimming

I'm supposed to be OW tonight but water has been on and off for last 24 hours (off more than on) and I don't want to go then not be able to shower!
Jul 2021
3:37pm, 21 Jul 2021
10,353 posts
  •  
Sweetie
Well done Jules bunting and belated well done to Hobie.

About This Thread

Thread for advice and encouragement for a 5km swim challenge, inspired by the OSW couch 2 5k swim programme: outdoorswimmingsociety.com

You don't have to do it open water and you don't have to do it by any particular date.

It's a challenge, not a race.

Fetch event here:

fetcheveryone.com/races/5k-swim-challenge---inspired-by-osw-couch-to-5k-swim-plan-5448939

BTW, there is a 5k, swim badge. Just saying.