5:30+ marathon training schedule - looking for some advice

4 watchers
Dec 2018
12:00pm, 13 Dec 2018
2,118 posts
  •  
Goofee
I agree that back to back longer runs and walking breaks are all good to consider too.

Interested to hear how he gets on...
Dec 2018
12:25pm, 13 Dec 2018
6,258 posts
  •  
lark-the-herald-angels-sing-im
Can I ask this as sensitively as possible - what's his barrier to targeting a slightly faster time? Without setting the bar too high, I'd expect a male between 20-40 for example ought to be able to get to around 4h30-45 unless there are specific reasons why not - and they could be a mobility impairment, weight, lack of time to train, lack of miles, etc etc.

But whatever your speed, volume seems to be key. And I agree with the suggestions about breaking up long runs into 2 day chunks. That would match with how ultra runners might prepare for a 5+ hour race, and if he runs for 5hr30 to the best of his ability, he's effectively running an ultra, not a marathon, even if the distance remains at 26.2 miles.

Good luck to you both in finding the right training approach!!
Dec 2018
3:50pm, 13 Dec 2018
3,512 posts
  •  
jennyh
Thanks for the advice all - the back to back long runs sound like a possible option for getting some higher mileage in without the 4 hour plus long runs. AL, around 3:45 was the sort of figure I had in my head of being the maximum duration of long run before he would start to see diminishing returns, so it's interesting to hear that you have similar thoughts.

In terms of time to train, he's generally not constrained on the weekends as we don't have kids or other commitments usually - although he has said he wants to try to get back to visit his parents a bit more frequently as his father's health is failing). V'rap, I've tried in vain to get him to do speed work, but he does do a weekly hill session, so that should help with his stamina. I try to get him to do some core work (as does the physio) - he did do some yoga for a few months back last year, but then managed to injure himself doing that...

Larks - the main barrier to his going any faster is his weight - he started running in April of 2016, and was well over 18.5 stone then. He's since lost two stone - he's 6'2, so whilst he is tall even at his height it's a lot of extra weight to carry around - but I think the longer the distance, the harder it gets (I know to a certain extent that's true for all of us, but I think more so for him as he is heavier).
Dec 2018
4:03pm, 13 Dec 2018
6,264 posts
  •  
lark-the-herald-angels-sing-im
Wow, he's made brilliant progress on the weight side of things, and every ounce makes it easier to run! Good luck!!
Dec 2018
4:07pm, 13 Dec 2018
2,122 posts
  •  
Goofee
Being slightly taller and 17 stone when I started serious training, I can confirm that losing weight will make an enormous difference. Currently I'm 1.5 stone up on my optimum and it makes everything tough!
Dec 2018
4:14pm, 13 Dec 2018
39,926 posts
  •  
Raptors Claws are coming to town
I'm pleased to see that he's dug his heels in regarding speed work. Targeting 5:30, he should only do speed sessions sparingly, and only if he enjoys doing them. Otherwise the recovery demand they create is a distraction from adding mileage. Some short strides within a longer run to practise running form may be worthwhile.

Does he plan to do any shorter races in the run-up to the marathon?
um
Dec 2018
5:09pm, 13 Dec 2018
655 posts
  •  
um
How about a different approach? Well, OK, maybe extra, not different.
In addition to all the above, how about some walking? Get used ( = train) to (eg) 6 - 8 hours walking, so the time is trained for. Ideally hills / fells / coast, so there is some physical effort.
It gives the benefit of the stamina & time readiness, but not the 'over-training' of 4-5 hours training runs.
Dec 2018
5:11pm, 13 Dec 2018
3,514 posts
  •  
jennyh
Fair point V'rap. My comment about speed work was based more on when I've tried to get him to do it in the past when he was trying to work on his 10K and half marathon times (mind you, he got a HM PB in October without it so clearly he didn't need it :-)). I can see at the speeds he's targeting it could be detrimental to increasing mileage, but the idea of adding some short strides in longer runs makes sense.

He's got two half marathons planned - one at race pace, one at marathon pace. We do also have our club's 10 mile race, although I think that only falls in his second week of training.
Dec 2018
5:15pm, 13 Dec 2018
3,515 posts
  •  
jennyh
Sorry, missed your post Um - sorry, are you suggesting long walks in addition to a weekend .long run - e.g. long run one day long walk the next day?
um
Dec 2018
7:49pm, 13 Dec 2018
656 posts
  •  
um
Probably jennyh - or mix & match depending on how long the long run is? If 10 - 15 miles and he feels able to do (eg) another 10 -15 miles walking in the smae weekend?
Just suggesting it may be a way to get the stamina/length of time needed for the actual 5½ hrs race.

About This Thread

Maintained by jennyh
Not sure if any Ftchies can help with this - I've been trawling t'internet without much su...