40 minute 10K

27 watchers
Feb 2012
4:45pm, 16 Feb 2012
11,574 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I find those races where you can see or hear the end whilst you are plodding around really demoralising.
The Humber Bridge half where you can see the finish whilst you are crawling over the bridge nearly made me cry!
Feb 2012
4:49pm, 16 Feb 2012
1,826 posts
  •  
Loca
I did the humber bridge half once - was so knackered running back over the bridge that I could barely see the bridge let alone the finish. Had I seen it and known it was that close I would have given myself a kick up the arse... finishing in 1:30:11 did not please me!
Feb 2012
5:02pm, 16 Feb 2012
11,575 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
It doesn't help that they seem to always have it on the hottest day of the year!
When I did it we all ran in line in the shadow of the suspension cable thing.
Feb 2012
7:43pm, 16 Feb 2012
3,789 posts
  •  
Smout
I did the Humber Bridge Half while pregnant in 2009 an loved it. Was happy to break 2 hours that day tho lol :)

Re. The link from SPR. I too came to same conclusion as loca.

The thing is as kids it's all so easy. I was never injured until what was put down as shin splints at about 16 after id piled on lots of puberty weight. It's probably 'safer' to send kids off on hilly routs with instructions to run fast up an easy down. It takes away the pressure of comparing intervals to previous sessions etc. we used to just do stuff like running round the track so many times or the pitch on the inside or up an down round the trees on the putside sometimes over hurdles an mostly nothing was timed till i started joining in with the adults. We may have raced each other or been told to run fast an slow bits. We were all sent inside to rest between runs in the changing rooms if it was cold outside. an we used to race nearly every weekend summer and winter. No idea if the coaches planned 'peaking' for championships but I just ran as fast as I could at every race :-s
Feb 2012
7:53pm, 16 Feb 2012
436 posts
  •  
hairlikeeddy
The Twin Piers 10 km is like that. You see the finish from a couple of kilometres away. The couple of times I've done it, I made the mistake of making a big effort at 8km and suffering the last kilometre horribly.
Feb 2012
8:18pm, 16 Feb 2012
354 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
Hellen - It's roughly the same set-up as Gloucester but without the 4 mile run into town at the start.

Plus, instead of getting arm bands that you have to wear for each lap (and end up with 3) you start with 3 and then discard them on the way around.

I'm going to be properly focused this time - I talked for 10 miles a guy last time and think I could have preserved a bit of energy and got an even better PB if I hadn't!
Feb 2012
10:25pm, 16 Feb 2012
3,124 posts
  •  
Joe Hawk
D2D - I would suggest that you start off at slightly sub 8mm and just stick to it at that pace you may have half a chance at running an even split.
Oh slightly sub 8 means about 7:50-7:55 on the flat and whatever the equivalent effort up/down hill gets you.

i doubt you'll listen but it would get you best result
Feb 2012
8:00am, 17 Feb 2012
9,913 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
first attempt at controlling my long(ish) run pace last night....rather than letting my pace drift up to the usual 07:50/mi-08:00/mi range I managed to hold it back to 08:29/mi average. Not as slow as I wanted (I was hoping to hit around 08:40/mi) but still much better than recent runs. :-)

Today is a rest day for me...work then the long journey from London back to rural Yorkshire. On Saturday I'm running local parkrun to see where my current pace/speed endurance is at so I can target my training paces better.
Feb 2012
10:58am, 20 Feb 2012
9,918 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
did the York parkrun on Saturday in an attempt to get the training pace zones...the conditions were a little tough (very windy) and there were some issues with the official timings (most runners reporting betwen 10 and 15s slower on the official race times). I was quite pleased with performance, not starting from the front made me actually run longer (3.16 miles) in a Garmin time of 21m:09s. This gives me around a 20m:50s 5K on the day...I've punched the figures into McMillan running and it's given my new training paces.

I'll use these for the next three weeks until I re-run my 5K TT....
Feb 2012
8:48pm, 25 Feb 2012
467 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
Fast/hard 10k tomorrow at Winslow - going to see what I've got. Think a woman I beat last year at a 10k (running on my shoulder the entire race then I beat her at the end) will turn up - should be interesting!

Grrrrrrr. Bring it on :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
My current 10k PB is 42.54 (6.55m/m)
5k PB is 20.44 (6.41m/m)

Yet my 10 mile PB on a very hilly ...