4:30 Marathon Thread

28 watchers
Feb 2020
8:51pm, 9 Feb 2020
3,466 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Even though they have banners up, it is still not always clear at drinks stations as to what you are getting. The Brighton Marathon volunteers are terrific but don't always call out what is water and what are sports drinks. They used to put them in different coloured cups too but I think that has stopped. You will also only get half a cup of whatever drink is there.

In recent years, I have tended to sip a Lucozade Sport at the start line and then take the rest at two mile intervals until the bottle is empty. This also eliminates the scrum at the first few drinks stations and I am able to maintain my pace.
Feb 2020
9:21pm, 9 Feb 2020
32,391 posts
  •  
DocM
Don't make the mistake I made on a hot day .... Pouring a cup of water over myself to then discover it was lucozade sport.
Feb 2020
9:34pm, 9 Feb 2020
60 posts
  •  
tommy_b
Surrey Phil - I like your approach.

Seeing it was High5 Zero, I wasn’t sure how they’d manage it since I thought it wasn’t retailed in liquid form. Half a cup of something seems.... meh.
Jul 2021
8:56pm, 15 Jul 2021
382 posts
  •  
Minimag
I thought I would resurrect this thread, as 4 1/2 hrs seems to be about the right target for me to aim for (I'm running Brighton in April next year).
I'm considerably slower than that on my long runs, but I'm still trying to build up at the moment. I have done a 1.52 hr half in a race (very flat and ideal conditions), and have done 1.56 hr in training for that half. I know it's very early to be going for 20 mile long runs so far ahead, but I want to feel comfortable in doing the distance before starting a training plan, 18 weeks before will be around the end of November. I intend to run 26.2 (maybe a few times) in training before starting the training plan. Anyone else targeting 4 1/2 hrs?
Jul 2021
8:41pm, 17 Jul 2021
384 posts
  •  
Minimag
So that will just be me then :)

I dont like tempo or fast runs unless there is competition of some sort, however given park runs are starting up, and also I am semi retired, and can do my long runs during the week, I have joined parkrun, and will be going to Littlehampton on Saturday. I am going to treat Saturday mornings as my Tempo runs. I am targeting doing a sub 24 for my first, this would be my fastest 5k ever, but I did manage a 24.24 for the first 5k on the Goodwood half so have high hopes of achieving this. Also, I am looking forward to meeting my first fetchie out there (12bardavid is doing the same parkrun).

I may therefore do my long run on Monday next week. I have struggled this week after doing a 20 miler on Monday (after a 18.5m on Friday last week), my legs have felt really tired, but I'll see how I am after a 2 day break - I suppose it's all good practice running on tired legs
Jul 2021
4:56pm, 18 Jul 2021
6,867 posts
  •  
minardi
I think my days of attempting a 4.30 marathon have passed but I shall stay here and shake my pompoms and/or kick ass for anyone who needs me to! Good luck minimag
Jul 2021
5:51pm, 18 Jul 2021
3,697 posts
  •  
TBR (TheBeardRunner)
Is it realistic to go for a 4.30 marathon if your fastest half marathon is just under 2 hours?
Jul 2021
6:03pm, 18 Jul 2021
53,482 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It is if you convert averagely well from half marathon to marathon and put in the training, TBR :)

I did a 4:41 marathon without having cracked two hours for the marathon.
Jul 2021
6:03pm, 18 Jul 2021
53,483 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
HALF marathon, obvs muppet
Jul 2021
6:09pm, 18 Jul 2021
1,331 posts
  •  
Looby Loo
I'd say very realistic I did 4.46 with a 2.10 best for half at the time.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
4:30 is perhaps your target or there about.

If you have a race where this might be your target I'll list it here and we can all offer our support.

FenlandRunner Cambridge boundary 1st March
Surrey Phil and tommy_b Brighton 19th April
DocMoye VLM 26 April 20
🎵Egnys🎵Windermere may 20
Love Lettuce Mont St Michael 31 May 20