4:30 Marathon Thread

28 watchers
Jan 2020
9:45pm, 13 Jan 2020
44,808 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Fenners, do not make public claims to have inside knowledge of my views of ANYTHING, especially when what you say implies the opposite what I have in fact said.
Jan 2020
9:49pm, 13 Jan 2020
2,963 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Sorry V'Rap, I've wrongly made an incorrect statement for which I apologise. My poor memory recalled you previously hating the HR?
Jan 2020
10:26pm, 13 Jan 2020
44,809 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I wonder if you're remembering my discovery in 2007 that Parker's numbers were way off for me, FR. Goodness knows I yammered on about it a lot. But I'd never discourage someone who is still finding their way with managing their training load to use heart rate as a way of moderating effort level on long or easy runs. Provided their numbers are close to being right for them it's a useful instrument.
Jan 2020
11:52pm, 13 Jan 2020
3,439 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Thought I'd better touch base again. I had a lean December but managed to hit ten miles at the weekend. My pace has been a bit slower than normal by about 15-20 seconds per mile. I'm trying to take that as a positive in hitting marathon pace properly rather than just another quick long run.

I've now decided to not do the Thames Meander in March and to just focus on Brighton in April. I think the taper, race and recovery time in March won't help me in trying to hit the 4:30 target six weeks later. Yes it is doable, and I have done both previously, but I want to give Brighton my best shot this year and would rather put in some quality training runs instead.
Jan 2020
7:10am, 14 Jan 2020
2,964 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
We are definitely on the same page, V'Rap. :)

Apologies again for the misundestanding that was totally on my behalf.
Jan 2020
8:38am, 14 Jan 2020
1,373 posts
  •  
Love Lettuce
The discussion of heart rate is a useful one - while I'm figuring out my pacing I'm using heart rate to help me assess 'easiness' of a run (and my fatigue levels on back to back training days). My methods aren't very scientific - I use the maximum heart rate* and resting heart rate estimated by my Garmin to set up the Fetch heart rate bands. If a run isn't mostly in the green band or if it goes into the red for any reason it wasn't easy.

*my maximum heart rate as recorded by Garmin is above the theoretical MHR for my age that I see touted about
Jan 2020
9:03am, 14 Jan 2020
44,810 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
[Offers FR a solid handshake.]

Good stuff, LL. You'll know whether the Garmin MHR and RHR are plausible from their context and it takes practice for most people to be able to gauge easy run pace by feel or to "trust" those runs that are slower than your legs want to go.
Jan 2020
9:31am, 14 Jan 2020
23,259 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
@LL - the "220-Age" is the only theoretical one I know, and it seems to be baloney :-) But the best way to estimate it IMHO is to take peak figures (and look out for false spikes in the data) from a hard 5k or an eyeballs-out hill session.
Jan 2020
9:44am, 14 Jan 2020
44,812 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
220-age in years may be reasonably accurate for study groups of young men :) The occasion research paper has proposed a slightly more complicated piece of arithmetic which trickles down into a corner of the running media, but it's much better to get your own number. The finishing sprint of a hard 5k will get most people close enough.

220-age in years gives me 165bpm. My recent measured maximum, which may still be a beat or two below my absolute maximum, is 188bpm and hasn't dropped in more than 10 years.
Jan 2020
9:45am, 14 Jan 2020
44,813 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
*occasionAL*.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
4:30 is perhaps your target or there about.

If you have a race where this might be your target I'll list it here and we can all offer our support.

FenlandRunner Cambridge boundary 1st March
Surrey Phil and tommy_b Brighton 19th April
DocMoye VLM 26 April 20
🎵Egnys🎵Windermere may 20
Love Lettuce Mont St Michael 31 May 20