37 minute 10k anyone?

17 watchers
Nov 2013
1:52pm, 20 Nov 2013
3,503 posts
  •  
daviec
Longer stride is a result of going quicker, not the other way round. I'd stick to what you're doing. Good luck with the races. I'm not great at 5k, and have actually run the second half at my 5k PB pace. I fancy one soon though, just to get a wee shot at running faster while I'm base training. Hopefully under 18, but should really be in the mid 17 area.
Nov 2013
3:39pm, 20 Nov 2013
7 posts
  •  
Dave Kelly
Thanks Davie - that makes sense. I used to take longer strides but made a conscious effort to shorten them and have suffered less with injury as a result. I think we have similar race times, so you should easily do mid 17:30 or quicker. Good luck with that it's a really good test of your mettle and gives you the chance of getting close to VO2max. It's not easy to go out hard and keep it going all out, especially as a decent 10k will see you start off and then continue to accelerate throughout the race. I usually have enough in reserve to drop the hammer for the last mile but with 5K you pretty much need to do that from the beginning. I enjoy the distance but I need to work on consistent pacing. The plan for this year is to try and improve speed endurance.
Mar 2014
11:22pm, 10 Mar 2014
31 posts
  •  
speedy rob
I'm hoping high mileage for marathon training will get a 36:?? for me at Eastleigh on 23 Mar, but 6 min/mile was too tough for 10 miles yesterday (HR too high), albeit on a more undulating course. My speedwork should have picked-up a couple of weeks earlier and there's a definite lack of zip, and more high mileage (with speed) this week and next...
Mar 2014
11:06am, 11 Mar 2014
3,937 posts
  •  
daviec
Good luck at Eastleigh Rob. I always find I get improvements at 10k/HM from marathon training. Not so much for 5k where I struggle to even improve on my 10k pace. I'm in 10k PB form just now given I hit a 36:42 10k split in a half marathon at the weekend. But with 4 weeks till my target marathon I doubt I'll be looking for a 10k.

My autumn targets for the year are 5k/10k/HM PBs though. Stirling 10k, then Glasgow HM will be the big 'A' races. I can't predict them this far out, but I'd like to think consistent training till then would see me in sub 75 HM shape and sub 35 for 10k. More likely I'll get injured and/or lose mojo and be miles of PB form :)
Mar 2014
4:35pm, 23 Mar 2014
38 posts
  •  
speedy rob
Jolly pleased with 36:43 (my watch) at the Eastleigh 10K today: piles of miles for marathon training seems to have helped. Sub 3 hours marathon attempt at Manchester in 2 weeks, then I'm easing off the training well below 200 miles per month 'till September.
Mar 2014
6:40pm, 23 Mar 2014
353 posts
  •  
Adders
Well done rob, thats a really good run. Yes i cant think of any reason why marathon training will not help a 10k performance. All the miles and aerobic work definitely bodes well.

Good running daviec as well.

I have a 10k coming up in 2 weeks - Bridgwater 10k on 6th Apr. Going under 36 mins would be awesome but sub 36:30 is a more reasonable goal.
Mar 2014
7:00pm, 23 Mar 2014
3,988 posts
  •  
daviec
Well done Rob. That's definitely sub 3 form. I had a 37+ 10k PB when I went sub 3 the first time.

Good luck for Bridgewater Adders :)
Mar 2014
9:37pm, 23 Mar 2014
39 posts
  •  
speedy rob
Thanks, and all the best for more sub 37 times all-around. My unofficial time is on-line as 36:40. I need to knock another 40 seconds off next year...
rhb
Sep 2014
9:50am, 24 Sep 2014
662 posts
  •  
rhb
Late to the party, looking to get back to 36.xx 10k's next year. Low mileage but cross training with bike stuff. Recent 5km mid 18's.

Winter of XC and up the mileage a small bit is the plan so will see where I'm at in spring.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Adders
Anyone aiming to break 37 minutes for 10k somepoint soon? Ive got the Cricklade 10k on Sunday and wa...