2016 Swim the (length of the) Thames Challenge

9 watchers
Jan 2016
4:54pm, 13 Jan 2016
4,550 posts
  •  
icemaiden
The green boxes are cumulative so each week carries the total of those above plus what is in that week. The row at the top picks up the row at the bottom in week 52. So as soon as you start to record anything in any week the green boxes will calculate. If you mess up your green cells let me know and I'll fix them.

Some of last year's participants wanted to carry over what they did so they don't have to start again. As none got to half-way I let them. They can thus learn about all sorts of trivia as they continue down the Thames. I have started again as I got to 180 or thereabouts. I must try not to break anything this year. Blackbird Leys Boy was the only swimmer to finish 2015. Which he did in style.
Jan 2016
9:36am, 14 Jan 2016
6,076 posts
  •  
Little Nemo - this kitten can
Yep, I've been sneaky and got a head start on most people ;-)
Jan 2016
9:38am, 14 Jan 2016
4,552 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Keep on swimming!
Jan 2016
2:26pm, 15 Jan 2016
2,223 posts
  •  
Blackbird Leys (boy)
Thanks for that icemaiden. Last year I started off in the indoor pool at Blackbird leys then moved to the outdoor pool at Hinksey after which I progressed to Queensford lake for some wilder swimming.

This thread helped me stick to my plan. I ended up doing a triathlon and river swims.
This year I'm miles ahead of myself. The pool is easy. I love it. I'm much more relaxed in the water

3 pool sessions for me this week, about 7k in total . Won't start logging until tomorrows session

I'll be back at the start again counting the bridges and memorizing the facts. I'll try not to say the same sequence of words twice. I'm aiming for the North sea .
Happy swimming folks.
Jan 2016
9:48am, 17 Jan 2016
4,557 posts
  •  
icemaiden
I'm on the dry side today. Gunky ear so will need a GP appointment tomorrow. :-(
Jan 2016
8:06am, 18 Jan 2016
2,225 posts
  •  
Blackbird Leys (boy)
Good morning folks. Hope you are all planning a good week of swimming.

Yesterday morning I went to BBleys leisure centre . What a great place that is , by the way.

Instead of going straight in the water I spent just over an hour in the gym. My stomach seems to have expanded over the festive season. Did sets of sit ups, some curls and chest press then went on the treadmill for an hour. ( 6.65miles) Just a gentle pace. All the while visualising A fantastic swim

down the Thames. Breaking the ice. Sticking a toe in to test just how freezing the water is below.

etc.

When I got off the treadmill I headed to the pool. A quick cold shower and a second later I was off.

In my head the water was so chilly but in reality it was spot on.

I put my head down and focused on getting my stroke as smooth as possible.

I covered 100 lengths in roughly one hour. Even with three other swimmers in my lane I was completely " in the zone " throughout my session.

Loved it.

I wonder where this Beautiful scenic Thames river will take me to this year?
Jan 2016
1:54pm, 19 Jan 2016
2,226 posts
  •  
Blackbird Leys (boy)
Blackbird leys pool to start with..
then who knows ? As long as the sun is shining and its not too wet.

My warm up today was a two hour jog/walk with my dog .

Then I headed for the pool for my one hour/100 length session. I don't count anymore. I know from last year that I average between 105-110 lengths per hour. If I round it down to 100 then i know

I'm not exaggerating my distance. ( Can't wait for the lake where I can count in km's)

Anyway I'd better shut up and do my house work before my OH gets home.

2.5k for me then...
Jan 2016
12:05pm, 31 Jan 2016
4,562 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Back in the pool. Ear infection seems to be gone. Moving on.
Feb 2016
8:29pm, 1 Feb 2016
1,727 posts
  •  
RRR-CAZ
Hi how do I go about moving my name up the river on the Wiki ?
Feb 2016
9:48pm, 1 Feb 2016
4,564 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Go to the wiki and click on edit the article and then just move your name where you need to go. Put the mileage next to your name. Click the save or submit or whatever it is. You don't need to say why you're doing it. Any problems I'll sort tomorrow. On my phone now.

About This Thread

Maintained by icemaiden
If anyone is interested in logging their pool or open water swimming by imagining they are travellin...

Spreadsheet is here - make sure you get the 2016 tab
docs.google.com

Wiki is here:
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=531