2015 Swim the (length of the) Thames Challenge

16 watchers
Oct 2015
1:50pm, 22 Oct 2015
2,214 posts
  •  
Blackbird Leys (boy)
I hope you are soon back up to strength icemaiden.

Back in the lake LazyDaisy? What are you like ? :)
I've been back in the pool for over a month now.
Must admit I'm missing the open water.

Just don't like it when the mornings and evenings are dark.
Nov 2015
11:14am, 4 Nov 2015
4,457 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Back in the pool last night, 60 lengths alternating breast stroke and front crawl. Neither particularly comfortable for my wrist, but no gain without pain so it might do some good. Nice and quiet in the pool so low risk of banging poorly arm into Mr Splashies.
Nov 2015
12:11pm, 4 Nov 2015
5,808 posts
  •  
Little Nemo - this kitten can
Glad to hear you're swimming again IM :-) Hope the wrist continues to improve.

I've reached my goal of 75 miles for the year so I should make it to 80+ in the end. Just need to add my latest sessions to the spreadsheet so I work out where I am...
Nov 2015
12:20pm, 4 Nov 2015
4,459 posts
  •  
icemaiden
I've 'rolled up' the spready, just unhide if you need to find past rows.
Nov 2015
1:52pm, 4 Nov 2015
5,809 posts
  •  
Sorry IM, I've entered my figures but I think it needs rolling back up
Nov 2015
5:04pm, 4 Nov 2015
12,295 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I've just updated my mileage - nothing like as impressive as the rest of you, and I doubt I'll even make my target of 55 miles this year. However, I'm still swimming in the lake - did 0.35 of a mile yesterday and it was fine once my forehead got over its freeze-pain. I'm cutting down to one lake swim a week now though, and will do a pool swim on the second swimming day instead. It's a long way to drive just to swim the equivalent of 20 lengths in the pool.
Nov 2015
5:09pm, 4 Nov 2015
5,810 posts
  •  
You are as hard as nails LD :-)
Nov 2015
11:37am, 6 Nov 2015
2,215 posts
  •  
Blackbird Leys (boy)
I'll second that Nemo. I bet you are not even wearing a wetsuit LazyDaisy. :)
My last lake swim was ages ago. Missing it a bit now

can't wait for next April.

Done 7.5k in the pool this week . Need to enter a long swim for next year to motivate me over the winter months.

Haven't been logging my miles since hitting the North sea but glad to see some of you still going strong.

Keep it up folks.
Nov 2015
3:02pm, 6 Nov 2015
12,310 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
You bet I'm in a wetsuit BBLB! And wetsuit socks, and two swimcaps :-) A swim buddy has bought gloves too, but not worn them yet. My hands are chilly to start with but soon feel ok. The worst bit is the ice-cream headache for the first few minutes, but apparently, jumping up and down in the water to warm up will help to get rid of that.

I swam in the pool yesterday, and it felt ridiculously warm.
Nov 2015
2:06pm, 10 Nov 2015
12,334 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
No ice-cream headache today, and the water temperature seems to have plateaued at 10.4* for the last few weeks now. I've become too much of a wimp though. The winter course is a 400m sort-of square, much closer in to shore than the summer 400 and 750m courses, and I should be perfectly capable of doing it. Correction: I *am* perfectly capable, I just feel anxious about going too far from shore in the colder water. I went as far as the second buoy today and then did a couple of little forays back and fore to the first buoy - total distance 0.28 mile!!! Hardly worth going. I must woman up next week and do proper laps. All my swim buddies are much braver than me :-(

About This Thread

Maintained by icemaiden
As we've come to the end of the Aspire Swim the Channel challenge and found we're better swimmers than we thought.

Here's the wiki to sign up for the starting line http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=521

Here's the spreadsheet

docs.google.com