2000+ miles in 2022

31 watchers
May 2021
10:33am, 1 May 2021
882 posts
  •  
Big_G
Here is April's roundup. It's great to read about people talking of planned events, streaks and targets, so thanks for the info. Into May we go, and personally I'm hoping it gets a tad warmer as it's been a bit too cold for me really. You just watch though; come June/July, I'll be saying the opposite, which is the way these things seem to go :)

jelly (limegreenjelly): Started well with a triple marathon event!

Mileage all on track. Tapering the last few days of April ahead of a 60 mile challenge on 1st May (not a race) in aid of East Anglian Air Ambulance! This will be my longest run ever! Not worried about pace as it’s going to be a pb but hoping for 14 hours!

chunkywizard: April miles are the lowest for the year, but that's due to recovery from my 50K at the end of Match. Still on track for around 2.4K miles in 2021, 23% above target. Next target race is Endure24 at the end of July and I start a 12 week plan next week so my mileage should climb over the next few months. Onwards and Upwards!

Oscar the Grouch: I find myself well ahead of track. I started the year signed up for a 50 mile at Butcombe in March which thankfully was cancelled/postponed but that had given me the impetus to be 'out'. Once it was cancelled, i knew I could do a Spring marathon off the back of whatever training so I find myself for the first time ever with 4 back to back 200+ mile training months and in a solid place endurance wise and over 900 for the year to date. Given the autumn has my target races in, I plan to DD at the start of June, have an easy month and then start marathon training in July so hoping to exceed the target well and truly.

Velociraptor: I've had a low mileage month and only just stayed at break-even point for 2000 miles, but I've run good 10k and 10 mile times in actual races, reintroduced some cycling and remained injury free, so I'm happy.

riggys99: Best month of 2021 and looking forward to May;s training

Rossco Peeko: Surprised to see the 1 year streak badge pop up on 30th April as I thought I’d done that a few days ago!

Scores on the doors: Days: 365, Runs: 370, Miles: 2247.75, Avg dist: 6.16 mi/day, Avg pace: 7:49 min/mi, Shortest: 3.15 mi, Longest: 15.0 mi, Fastest: 7:08 min/mil, Slowest: 8:29 min/mi. Still keeping the streak, now on 6th consecutive month of 200+ miles.

Steve NordRunner: Early in the month I rounded up my target to 2750 miles. I'm bang on course for that, but I'm finding that the demands of multi-WSW are reducing the amount of pure running I can do.

StuH: April was mostly taper, then recovery, with a 50 mile jog across the South Downs Way in the middle. 155 miles in April, 847 miles for the year, +26.4% above target

Big_G: I’ve just been a little bit behind all year, as I’m currently on 622 miles (-7%). April was a bit lower than anticipated due to a mild foot issue, but I did do my first marathon for 13 months, which was a highlight as it was great to be pinning on a number again. DD is still the main target, which is early June, and if I stay injury free I’m confident I can make up that annoying lag of 7%. Zwifting is backing off a bit so as we progress into summer and after DD, I’m hoping to get out on the coast path for longer plods which should increase the mileage a little bit.
May 2021
11:49am, 1 May 2021
11,949 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Great round out Big_G, thanks for sorting :-) any one who can compile the roundup in coming months please let me know, thanks.
May 2021
12:01pm, 1 May 2021
52,416 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Thanks, Big_G :)

If nobody else volunteers, I can do May.
May 2021
12:32pm, 1 May 2021
11,950 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Cheers V’rap, but you've done one already, hopefully a few people will come forward.
May 2021
7:56pm, 1 May 2021
600 posts
  •  
jelly (limegreenjelly)
Ok CW, I will collate and post for May!

I’ve been a bit anxious about taking this on as I tend to overthink things! It really doesn’t look like rocket science!
May 2021
8:38pm, 1 May 2021
11,954 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Hi jelly, most appreciated. It really is easy but I can help if needed. Also the roundup can take any flavour you want, see the 700 thread for alternative ideas.
May 2021
4:14pm, 2 May 2021
886 posts
  •  
Big_G
I had a good run out today at Plym Trail, and had a chat with Oscar the Grouch at the start which was nice to put a face to the name :)

After the first mile, this event is essentially down a hill for 6-miles, turn around and come up the hill, and repeat that for the marathon. It is really hard to pace it accurately as although not steep, 5 of the last 6 miles are basically up hill constantly.

Anyway, this was my 10th outing on this course and the conditions were really good. I wore a vest and it was cooler than last week, and as the course is sheltered whatever mild wind there was didn't impact the runners. As I was driving away at the finish, it did start raining so hopefully that wasn't too bad for people still out on the course.

This wasn't really a "race" for me, but more of a training run, and I was running and chatting with a club mate until the 20-mile turn around and then I eased away from her. I was just feeling really strong and had found the 20-miles quite easy and comfortable to be honest (I don't say that very often!). The last 5 miles are always hard on this course but I dug in a bit towards the end and finished in a course best for me of 3:36:59, which is about a 5-min course best. I've had some really poor performances on this course (i.e., over an hour slower than today, often in bad conditions though). I do remember really digging out a sub-4 one day and that broke me (I DNS'd day 2 that weekend), so I'm happy with how it went today, after a good effort for me at Sheppedine last week. Pretty sure I went through half way in about 1:48-ish so more or less an even split too, which is good as I've done fairly big positive splits here in the past. So, all things considered, it was a good day out bringing up 57-miles for the week.
May 2021
5:54pm, 2 May 2021
607 posts
  •  
jelly (limegreenjelly)
Well done Big G
May 2021
10:03pm, 2 May 2021
3,000 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grouch
Good effort, G and good to meet you (and Synge). I missed whatever rain there was and finished in 4.03, so pleased with that. I was 1.59/2.04, which I am also pleased with given how relentlessly uphill the last 5 miles is.
May 2021
8:32am, 3 May 2021
888 posts
  •  
Big_G
It is a deceptive course, isn't it Oscar? The club mate I was running with for the first 20 hadn't done it before but on the way down she was saying she thought it was quite flat. It's really deceptive, but on the last 5 miles up I think it dawned on her that it's not flat! It's not particularly steep, but as you say it's just relentless. Well done on your time :)

About This Thread

Maintained by chunkywizard
A thread for everyone who makes their goal for 2022 as 2000 or more miles.

Target races

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.