1st marathon in April - give me your one best tip...

4 watchers
Dec 2013
1:24pm, 3 Dec 2013
9,953 posts
  •  
mulbs
snow-white I trained with a plan from a book called "marathon running for non-runners" or something like that - I had been running for years but furthest had been half distance and I am v slow, it was a brilliant book and a realistic plan - find a plan that suits your time/lifestyle and don't fret if you can't always follow it so long as you more or less do
Dec 2013
1:24pm, 3 Dec 2013
20 posts
  •  
Tiny Runner
Totally what they said :)

Also test the on course nutrition before the race. If you can't handle it you'll need time to find out what works for you and carry it. And don't believe the instructions on the gel wrapper, you don't need one every 20-30 mins. One an hour is plenty for most runners (the compromise is necessary as you don't want your blood directed away from your muscles BUT you don't have enough calories on board to run the whole thing either).

When the going gets tough think about what an awesome thing you are doing. Think about the medal, about meeting your friends and family at the end… Don't let negativity in and ENJOY IT!
Dec 2013
2:00pm, 3 Dec 2013
7,608 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
3 tips. You wanted one but you can have the others free..
Do the training
Get to the start line fit and healthy
Have a realistic race plan and stick to it.
Dec 2013
2:05pm, 3 Dec 2013
80 posts
  •  
snow_white78
oh wow mulbs - i have that book and had totally forgotten i'd bought it!! Just rediscovered it on bookshelf upstairs - yay!!!
Dec 2013
2:06pm, 3 Dec 2013
81 posts
  •  
snow_white78
3 for the price of 1 :-)
Dec 2013
2:24pm, 3 Dec 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
MarkyMarkMark
Vaseline on bits that rub.
Oh, elastoplasts on the bits that you didn't realise rubbed! Good quality ones - the £1 shop specials sweat off......
Dec 2013
2:33pm, 3 Dec 2013
15,052 posts
  •  
DeeGee
No alcohol before mile 14.
Dec 2013
2:35pm, 3 Dec 2013
2,648 posts
  •  
Watford Wobble
A very wise young runner who has a big bushy tail told me 'Winter miles, summer smiles.'

It's all about the miles.
Dec 2013
2:39pm, 3 Dec 2013
74 posts
  •  
Wirral Dave
Most important thing about a training plan is understanding it's a plan, not a recipe. Missing the odd session will leave your body feeling slightly fresher, but many stress that if they don't do every run it will majorly ruin their race. It won't. Think of every session you miss ais a little more pain at the end - so it's not good to miss them, but not that bad either.

The other advice, about running more generally, is that every training session should be about how you feel the next day, not how well you train that day. Don't think you need to run fast, or well, in training. Concentrate on getting the distance in your legs and still feeling able to run the next day. If any sessions leave you waking up with aches, you ran them far too fast. Even the long runs, which might sound daunting, shouldn't be leaving your legs feeling that tired the next day - if they do, slow them down (or walk parts if you wish).
Dec 2013
2:47pm, 3 Dec 2013
1,365 posts
  •  
jog-on
some great advice on here, Ill echo "slow long miles"

The more miles you can manage to fit in per week (building up sensibly of course) will make the marathon experience more enjoyable and recovery quicker. The slower the miles the better so you reduce the chance of injury and running with a heart rate monitor will help with this this as most people are running a lot faster than they need to. (One of my big mistakes training for my first mara) So to repeat many other on here..... miles miles miles ;)

About This Thread

Maintained by snow_white78
I've had a little look through the marathon related threads on here BUT if you could give me one ti...