1st/2nd claim clubs

4 watchers
Jan 2020
11:58am, 9 Jan 2020
9,933 posts
  •  
larkim
Roberto is spot on here - that's the form that my son had to complete, a simple process that you need both your clubs to sign off on.
Jan 2020
11:59am, 9 Jan 2020
9,396 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
It's unlikely to be my first claim club that's petty as they're the ones talking about no longer affiliating for XC at all (because it's the one discipline that's an issue - under FRA rules, you need to be first claim for your fell club and then 2nd claim for your other clubs - don't ask why) - it means that a few people who run for other clubs who'd join us can't as they still want to run road, XC, for their 1st claim club. XC is the discipline that's arsey as it's run by too many old farts!

The problem is likely to be the petty XC league that my potential 2nd claim club runs in - they have a rule that states only one 2nd claim runner can count for the team - but if my first claim club is no longer affiliated for XC, then it shouldn't be an issue - but I guarantee it will be.
Jan 2020
12:05pm, 9 Jan 2020
9,935 posts
  •  
larkim
Possibly - there is an issue that the "licence check" system available on EA's website only displays a single 1st claim club, so if they checked your records like that they'd see that you aren't first claim.

However, if you ARE registered as 1st claim XC with your 2nd claim club, then the 2nd claim club would enter you, declare you as 1st claim (because you are), and you run in the 2nd claim club vest - the league should in theory not have the issue raised for them to consider. It's only if some competitor flags it to them that they might even look at it - and they would be factually wrong to excluded you if 1st claim status was required, because you'd have it.
Jan 2020
12:10pm, 9 Jan 2020
9,936 posts
  •  
larkim
I'm not sure that FRA position is correct though from your 1st claim club fozzy - see fellrunner.org.uk

They give some examples of where a runner might be 1st claim for one club and 1st claim also for another etc. Though perhaps it is about the status of the club / FRA relationship?
Jan 2020
12:13pm, 9 Jan 2020
9,937 posts
  •  
larkim
(As an aside, you've just made me check my clubs - and it turns out my 1st claim club isn't actually affiliated for road running, oddly, despite the fact that I've road run for them for a few years, as have other members. I wonder whether there is any consequence to that?)
Jan 2020
12:18pm, 9 Jan 2020
9,397 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
larkim - Have a look at the specific examples they have in that document, that should clear it up.

The Dark Peak/Buxton example is the one that usually applies.
Jan 2020
12:27pm, 9 Jan 2020
9,938 posts
  •  
larkim
Ah, I see where they are coming from now - it's easier for the FR club to be fell only and therefore be more attractive to other runners who are affiliated to clubs with no H&F affiliation declared, rather than have a big XC overlap.

That DPFR / Buxton one is another step further as Buxton are H&F affiliated, so by definition anyone joining Buxton first claim wouldn't be allowed to be first claim for another H&F affiliated club. Locally the clubs need to organise in a way which means they don't just "tick the box" and hamper cross polination - but as you say, not every club / league is run by modern, open minded individuals!!
Jan 2020
12:44pm, 9 Jan 2020
9,939 posts
  •  
larkim
On the pettiness of the league - perhaps you'll find that they love nothing better than the tortuous process being properly followed, and it will gladden their hearts to see the bureaucracy properly completed so that they can skip away, knowing you are truly "1st claim other".
Oct 2021
2:38pm, 26 Oct 2021
369 posts
  •  
LouiseRuns 🌹🇬🇧 🇪🇺
Hoping someone can shed some light here...

I don't suppose there's such a thing as third claim, is there? I'm in an athletics club, that does cross country in a Saturday league. Another local club runs in a Sunday league. I want to stay with my first club, but also run the Sunday XC. But, I also signed up to Vets AC (haven't actually done any of their events, but I'd like to think I might).

Does this sound like something I can do, or would I need to run as a guest for one of the clubs do you think?
Oct 2021
3:10pm, 26 Oct 2021
15,566 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
You can have more than one 2nd claim club - in fact you can have as many as you like.

As long as the XC league rules don't prevent or have rules around 2nd claim members from taking part (the ones round here do, which can cause issues).

About This Thread

Maintained by rf_fozzy
If I have a first claim club that affiliates for everything except XC, can I run "first claim" for a...