1500 miles in 2018

41 watchers
Dec 2018
11:19am, 31 Dec 2018
26,017 posts
  •  
DingdocMerrilyonHigh
I've actually got a serious running question that I wonder if any of you can help me with.

I'm at the start ( week2) of an 18 week marathon plan. I've just run 14 miles with 10miles at marathon pace ish. How tired is that supposed to feel? I was knackered when I finished, and I'm expecting my legs to be a bit tired tomorrow, but otherwise seems ok .... But should it be worse than that? Should I be aiming for faster or is that ok as it means I'm just building stamina and recovery without taking too much out of my self ?
Dec 2018
11:44am, 31 Dec 2018
2,586 posts
  •  
jabberknitmas
For Week 2 of a mara plan, I'm a bit surprised you're running 14 miles already, Doc. That seems a lot so early. I'd have thought the first few weeks of a plan should be about stamina-building and recovery, and you don't want to be too tired too soon, or there might be a possibility of burning out in training.
Dec 2018
11:58am, 31 Dec 2018
26,019 posts
  •  
DingdocMerrilyonHigh
ive been running 10-14 mile long runs each week for the last 4-6 months, so it has become a sort of ordinary type of distance to me (as much for my head as my legs).
Dec 2018
12:25pm, 31 Dec 2018
1,343 posts
  •  
Flatlander
Most marathon plans make the assumption that you have a good base of training (distance/stamina) behind you when you start the plan, and so look to build on that from the beginning in a structured way.

Doc, I would expect you to feel tired after 14 miles with 10 @MP, but your plan should have recovery runs to let you get over it. If you were feeling wrecked, that would not be so good. ;-)
Dec 2018
1:15pm, 31 Dec 2018
65,779 posts
  •  
Gobi
I cant believe youbhave 10@mp in week 2
Dec 2018
1:16pm, 31 Dec 2018
26,020 posts
  •  
DocMoye
well it may not have said that exactly ...but it was just what i ended up doing as i was enjoying it
Dec 2018
1:21pm, 31 Dec 2018
26,021 posts
  •  
DocMoye
so been to check with the WAVA calculator....i think i should be aiming for a much faster marathon pace!
Dec 2018
1:24pm, 31 Dec 2018
997 posts
  •  
bonners
Are you using fetch"s calculator which seems to be more realistic?
Dec 2018
1:31pm, 31 Dec 2018
8,695 posts
  •  
The Tinselator
Happy New Year you lovely lot. Be nice x
Dec 2018
1:39pm, 31 Dec 2018
998 posts
  •  
bonners
Looking at your log and recent times Doc, I would suggest that your target is perhaps a little modest. To me that looks an ideal paced long run at this stage in your training.

I would suggest your running is in some ways similar to mine. The realisation that we're never going to set the world on fire, but to be proud of the times we do achieve knowing that we put in a lot of miles.

When I did my marathon last year I didn't ask for specific advice on here as I knew I would never completely dedicate myself to a plan. So I did my own version of a plan and was happy with the outcome of the marathon.

So don't worry too much Doc, you're putting the miles in, you've had a great base year in 2018, so unless you particularly want to smash a time, keep going the way you're going and I'm sure you'll be fine. My proviso is that my advise will never get you to be the fastest you can be! 😀

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
welcome to the 1500 thread. We love to have contributions from all even if you won't be running the full 1500 miles...

Please make sure you join the group
fetcheveryone.com/groups-view.php?id=1267

and set your mileage target to 1500miles so that we can include you in the monthly round up fetcheveryone.com/training-targets.php

fetcheveryone.com/training-mileagetargets.php?category=RUN

monthly round up
Jan. Mrs Jigs

Feb Jigs
March Ian
April. Neillio

May RichHL
June. Bez-Head
July. Jenny
August. Jabberknit

Sept Westmoors
Oct. Garfield