13 - 16 reality of first ever marathon hits home

3 watchers
Mar 2017
8:53am, 23 Mar 2017
1,680 posts
  •  
Mick n Phil ( OBE )
a friend of mine who's a psychiatrist has got a place in London marathon - he's a ok guy, I got to know him better after running with my Phil - a few years ago it started him off running

he's done now a few HM's - were we've set off early, he come by passing us in the later stages of a HM, giving us a hello and support -

he'd never been beyond 13 miles - he's decided to try for London, and he's got in - he's now up to 16 miles, - I was at the special needs dentist with my Phil on Tuesday - when he was on lunch break

he stopped and said hello Mick - how are you, he said Mick can we chat - he said, as you know i've done a few HM's - they were ok, no real problems - but he said I knew I had to up things once I was told I have a place in London

so he says i'm up to 16 miles, he said it hurt like hell , especially around the knees area - he said when it happened - and even now, i'm stuck on what to do, - he said the harsh reality of it all has really hit me, he said I thought, if this can happen from 13 - 16, what might happen up to and after 19, and so on

I said its March 21 - you ve got to April ??? 14th before you taper and final preparation up to April 19 - leaving 4 gentle days of rest and relax - you need a 18, and possibly a 20 in your legs to see what it feels like, and have an idea of how to deal with things,

he said Mick , how things can change in such a short distance, and how I've realised that my psychiatry skills will not help me

ive told him to relax and feel happy and positive, eat, drink sleep well - think only about this until its over

train a little every day or every other day, gently at your own comfortable pace, get that 18 or 20 miler in sooner the better, it will give you a better idea of whats to come,

I said after your long run, think safe, don't get there injured, if need be just do those little runs each day or other day - he asked how much it might hurt,
I said it might go well, - lets hope so, - on the other hand it could go sour, it could make you wish you had'nt been born - aching in places you never imagined you had, - and still got to keep going, the crowd will not help - your on your own ,

its a harsh but real game, - he asked what the worst scianrio - I said you stop plain and simple, , but I said the mind and body can safely take far more than you think - you should know that - he said that's it I don't

morale of it is, how going just 3 miles out of your comfort zone can change your whole perception and leave you in so much pain - negative pain - into a world of complete uncertainty

sounds simple 16 down - only 10 to go, but the reality can be so different, on the day

I do so wish him well, - I expect he ll ring me he has my mobile number
Mar 2017
8:59am, 23 Mar 2017
11,638 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
16 miles isn't even half way ;) if you know what I mean ;)
Mar 2017
9:13am, 23 Mar 2017
1,681 posts
  •  
Mick n Phil ( OBE )
Hi FR - yes exactly
Mar 2017
9:48am, 23 Mar 2017
5,995 posts
  •  
The_Saint
You could tell him that in the time remaining he needs to concentrate on time on his feet rather than distance or speed.
Mar 2017
10:04am, 23 Mar 2017
11,640 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
Good advice from The_Saint 👍
Mar 2017
10:05am, 23 Mar 2017
11,641 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
And 'Hiya Mick'. Hope you're well. Are paths haven't crossed for ages.
Mar 2017
10:07am, 23 Mar 2017
3,732 posts
  •  
Tav H
It's a big step up, which I'm also considering in next year or so. I remember when I was training for a 20-miler a few years ago, which was called off, that a 16 or 17-mile long run would just finish me off for the day, whereas I thought nothing of a swift-ish 13 miles before breakfast.
Mar 2017
10:17am, 23 Mar 2017
1,832 posts
  •  
monsenb1
Lots of good advice there MnP OBE!

Nutrition? If I don't sort out nutrition during a long run (ie. eating something regularly before you feel tired, for me thats a gel every 5 miles) properly, I can bonk out spectacularly...

Also looking back on the first long runs I did past HM distance, I remember 2 things most vividly: wanting to curl up and sleep on the pavement after about 16 miles or so, getting cold shivers and feeling like I was running like a spaceman on the moon after that...

It was just a matter of getting used to it..
Mar 2017
10:32am, 23 Mar 2017
1,682 posts
  •  
Mick n Phil ( OBE )
my early days of training is painful memories of chaffing, under arm, crutch , feet, blistered bleeding, couldn't move

- and yes its all a matter of getting used to it

even in today's age, with all the help advise and info available, - but the people still have to get used to it

yes when that fatigue sets in on nutrician - ohh gosh, its terrible
May 2017
5:14am, 2 May 2017
7,737 posts
  •  
SarahWoo
I'm contemplating doing my first marathon next year but don't want to set myself up to fail. Having read this, I need to do more thinking before I make that decision. Very hard to imagine running a half twice.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Mick n Phil ( OBE )
a friend of mine who's a psychiatrist has got a place in London marathon - he's a ok guy, I got t...