10k training advice

1 watcher
May 2013
8:42am, 15 May 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
fuzzballtony
Hello,
I've just recently run the VLM and i wanna now bring back my running to speedy steady have a change from the long/slow mile training of marathon. So for the rest of this year i'm looking at improving my 10k time my current PB is 40.33. But what is a realistic target to aim for?? And whats best to follow a plan for 10weeks to say a 38min target then after that a new 10week plan to sub ##what ever next. I dont have a set target time in mind as i dont know what is possible in a short time i'm in my 3rd year running and went from a 1hr38m half mara to a sub 1hr30m half last year so i know i can make big jumps.
Any ideas folks???
May 2013
8:49am, 15 May 2013
2 posts
  •  
fuzzballtony
That should read "i wanna now bring back my running to some speedy stuff and have a change from the long......."
Aug 2013
11:35pm, 25 Aug 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
Martinrafferty
Shame no one has tried to answer this as I would be interested too.
Aug 2013
12:00am, 26 Aug 2013
7,429 posts
  •  
Dvorak
All the fast people have gone to bed - bump it again tomorrow morning.

Two things: a lot of people find that just the increased training volume reduces the 10K and 5K times - run one and find out; and this might give you some ideas http://www.fetcheveryone.com/cms-43
Aug 2013
9:20am, 27 Aug 2013
736 posts
  •  
Canute
It is interesting that there have been few responses to this thread since 10K is one of the most popular distances among Fetchies. I myself have relatively very little direct experience of 10K (though the best ever race of my life was a 10,000m forty- five years ago). When younger, my main event was 5K; now I am old, my main event is HM. So I suppose I have bracketed the 10K.

For a person who has recently completed a block of marathon training, the issue is increasing capacity to handle a pace just above LT rather than below it. So it would seem sensible to propose that fast tempo runs of up to 30 min duration and long intervals (eg 5x2Km) with short rests are the most important things to add to the program.

However I am intrigued by the fact that poor ability to replace the potassium that get expelled from muscle cells during contraction might be a serious limiting factor in both 5K and 10K. One style of training that is likely to result in a large increase in the ability to pump potassium back into muscle cells is high intensity interval training (brief periods of intense anaerobic exercise with modest rests). After I complete my current block of HM training I plan to introduce HIIT for a few weeks in an attempt to improve my performance at 5K and 10K.
Aug 2013
12:13pm, 27 Aug 2013
2,193 posts
  •  
ReturnoftheJuddi
This might be of some help to you Tony http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=24494

Its a thread dedicated to those aiming for a sub-40 10k. I hope you find some of the help you are looking for there, I unfortunately am not fast enough to offer you much advice but the people on the thread are very supportive and full of wisdom. Good luck :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hello,
I've just recently run the VLM and i wanna now bring back my running to some speedy stuff and have ...