10K TO HALF MARATHON IN THREE WEEKS?

1 watcher
Mar 2016
2:45pm, 16 Mar 2016
53 posts
  •  
tagazou
hi,
have been lurking around for years, but wasn't into racing. With the help and encouregment of the forum here, I have just done 1st 10km (57minutes) :-)

but now I have the opportunity to do a half marathon in three weeks, or wait untill next year.

I feel I am better suited to half marathon than 10k, but I have never done the distance. I feel I could in theory keep up 9/10kph for the distance.

Questions are : am I mad?

Should I try this weekend to do two hours at race pace and see if it is the realms of possibiltiy or
build up over the next two and a half weeks and see how it goes on the day?
Wait untill next year?

any advice greatfully received!
Mar 2016
3:09pm, 16 Mar 2016
27,161 posts
  •  
Old Croc
try to do a longer run soon but it is a big step up in a very short space of time - after that all I can say is if you feel happy "giving it a go" then crack on but dont build up hopes - plenty of time to build up properly for another half or a full build up for next year.
Mar 2016
3:42pm, 16 Mar 2016
145 posts
  •  
Ulric
There are loads of HMs so I wouldn't be in a rush, particularly if you haven't done much over 10k in training? I'm sure you could find one in between 3 weeks and next year.
Mar 2016
4:39pm, 16 Mar 2016
8,129 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
You'll never run your first half marathon again - and it would be a shame for it not to be a positive experience, so personally I would wait and build up to it properly. You don't necessarily need to wait a year - an autumn half would work.
Mar 2016
4:51pm, 16 Mar 2016
11,388 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Hi, that's a pretty decent time for your 10k. I see you ran your 10k in Corsica, I guess it's where you live?

I agree with others you would be better targeting a half later in the year, you could combine it with a holiday elsewhere as I guess races on Corsica are not that common.
Mar 2016
5:44am, 17 Mar 2016
54 posts
  •  
tagazou
hi Ultracat, and thanks :-) -:) You guessed it, I live in Corsica and here nearly all of the races are 'trials' on mountain paths, and thats not really my thing.

Plus I haven't even been able to get out much to run since the race so really only 2 weeks left untill the race as the half is on the 3rd. So I think I am going to be setting myself up for a bad experience!

So having read what you have all said and having another look at the races available I have have found a half in October that I could possibly get to, so I think I will aim for that.

Anyone want to come out and do some running out in sunnier weather here in Corsicain the meantime I would be pleased to meet you and show you around!

thnaks again to all of you for your advice, really helpfull :-)
Mar 2016
11:55am, 17 Mar 2016
11,389 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Good luck with your training.
Mar 2016
12:45pm, 17 Mar 2016
27,032 posts
  •  
OhMyFleecingGod
October sounds much more sensible, a half marathon is a bloody long way if you've only done half the distance! Enjoy your training :)
Mar 2016
6:15pm, 17 Mar 2016
55 posts
  •  
tagazou
hahahaha , yes I think you are right, well thanks again for the encouregment and advice.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
hi,
can you go from 10k to half marathon in three weeks