100 Novels Everyone Should Read

35 watchers
Jul 2014
11:07pm, 16 Jul 2014
7,034 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Jean Rhys Wide Sargasso Sea is an example of a book that seems to polarise views. Many cite it as a favourite while others struggle with it. I'm certain I'd be in the latter category, so I've never bothered.
Jul 2014
11:12pm, 16 Jul 2014
10,586 posts
  •  
GlennR
I've realised what's nagging with me: Bulgakov's Master and Margherita. A must read - it does turn up on a lot of these lists, I double checked to make sure I hadn't missed it.
Jul 2014
8:53am, 17 Jul 2014
183 posts
  •  
DazTheSlug
by curious coincidence I recently resolved to start reading again (I used to read a LOT when younger but have fallen out of the habit) and thought I'd try a few "classic" books that I'd never read

I'm currently reading Moby Dick (and quite enjoying it) and will probably try Anna Karenina or Crime & Punishment after that

I'm also re-reading The Wasp Factory (Iain Banks) which would definitely be in my personal 100
Jul 2014
9:53am, 17 Jul 2014
12,122 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Chapter 94 of Moby Dick for homoerotic hilarity. Just wait.
Jul 2014
9:58am, 17 Jul 2014
14,684 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I've just added my reads to the article, and it looks like Diogenes has read all of mine :-)
Jul 2014
10:13am, 17 Jul 2014
184 posts
  •  
DazTheSlug
Dio - what does it mean if you put an asterix after your name? does that mean you recommend it? or are currently reading? or something else?
Jul 2014
10:17am, 17 Jul 2014
7,035 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Great to see people updating the article.

The asterisk means it's one of my favourites, Daz.
Jul 2014
10:21am, 17 Jul 2014
675 posts
  •  
shyfire
I've added my reads. I'm quite shocked at how few I have read in the last 10 years but then my book shelves(physical and virtual) have evolved into running, baking, crime thrillers(tartan noir/nordic noir/gratuitous pulp!) and Outlander(for my sins). I can however quite clearly see trends from my teens/early twenties, a definite Russian phase(cue interest in russian history/language) and lots with a utopian/dystopian theme. Time to revisist some of them I think.
Jul 2014
10:33am, 17 Jul 2014
2,174 posts
  •  
LindsD
I've added mine. I've read a lot but also loads that I meant to read and never got round to. Nice to see some books in translation there. I'm actually writing my dissertation on The Tin Drum, but the film, rather than the book.

Agree that Catcher in the Rye is over-rated but think you have to read it when you're a teen. Great thread.
bos
Jul 2014
11:47am, 17 Jul 2014
2 posts
  •  
bos
Have added my reads. Some of them I have read a long time ago, so in a way I wonder if they still count.
Catcher is a fav of mine, but in my defense I was young...
I think Ulysses is a bit more readable than is suggested, but as I have had the appropriate accent since birth, I probably have a natural advantage.

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
Based on The Telegraph feature
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/4248401/100-novels-everyone...
Link to the article http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=518