10 in 10 - the race thread

32 watchers
Feb 2010
10:17am, 3 Feb 2010
325 posts
  •  
Tiger
I feel a bit of an imposter here! But think the TiT is an amazing challenge :)

Naomi did you have any success with your nutrition quest? I was thinking about that recently, I was given a book called Go Faster Food for Christmas and it's got lots of advice about the sorts of food you need before/after endurance exercise and it's written by a marathon runner too. I'm training for Brighton (just the one marathon!) and I've made several of the recipes, I'd recommend it :)
Feb 2010
10:33am, 3 Feb 2010
4,849 posts
  •  
Naomi P
Hiya, yes, I saw a nutritionist in December who gave me a food plan to cover a heavy training week with one marathon in it. It's fairly flexible but most useful in getting me to eat enough (far more than I want to) and in the right proportions. One of the most pertinent points was nutrition straight after training / racing - you need to get calories down straight away and that's definitely improving my recovery.

I'll have a look at that book, thanks for the tip! See you in Brighton :-)
Feb 2010
10:40am, 3 Feb 2010
326 posts
  •  
Tiger
It's all very interesting, I find I'm devouring everything in sight when marathon training, I thought my diet wasn't too bad (perhaps a bit too much booze, ahem) but I clearly still have a lot to learn!

Yes see you in Brighton :) I'll be at the Spitfire in March too. GF and I do the same XC races but never seem to find each other to say hello! XC this Saturday GF?
Feb 2010
10:41am, 3 Feb 2010
2,808 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
yes tiger, but for me its 33m of XC over the north downs way lol :)
Feb 2010
10:43am, 3 Feb 2010
4,850 posts
  •  
Naomi P
I'll see you at the Spitfire, keeping off trail for now.

Btw, I drink massively more than is good for me and I couldn't care less. I'd be bloody miserable without booze...
Feb 2010
10:44am, 3 Feb 2010
328 posts
  •  
Tiger
LOL indeed, good luck! I'll just do the 4.5 mile one at Wimbledon Common ;) And a 20 miler on Sunday :)
Feb 2010
7:02pm, 3 Feb 2010
1,674 posts
  •  
Anna Finn
In March there's the Birghton trail on 28th. I haven't entered yet as it's expensive, but probably will. I'm doing Charnwood on Sat 27th (this was my first ever LDWA event last year) and I'm down for Nightjar's run on the 14th too and have a Sevenoaks LDWA thing for the 21st. So plenty in March but just a 40 then single marathons in April.

Not sure what to do Feb 20th/21st but should probably do something long as you suggested. Real shame they cancelled Draycote. I wonder what Roger's doing that weekend - I think he's doing one every weekend for a year. It might be something in the states though.

Tiger, see you at Brighton!
Feb 2010
8:45am, 4 Feb 2010
2,810 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
Ah yes, Brighton trail. I might do that one. Its an extreme running one I think, the Doyen people.

Foot was niggling on last nights run after about 7 miles, really need to watch it and a bit worried about Saturdays Pilgrims thing. Going to have a really easy short run today and rest tomorrow I think. Tonsils really swollen too, this training is not going well!!

Anna, you are banging out some serious stuff at the weekends- what sort of stuff are you doing during the week? I'm worried about getting the balance right, and am never sure whether to run less miles in the week if doing a double at the weekend, or to just bank the double as extra miles.
Feb 2010
12:53pm, 4 Feb 2010
1,678 posts
  •  
Anna Finn
I'm not sure myself really GF! I felt a bit ill last week so didn't run very much. This weekend I've got 50 miles on Sat and have done 3 x 9 miles this week. Tomorrow I'll just do a bit, certainly no more than 4 miles.

Take it easy on that foot.

I'm thinking about what to do in Feb. I often put on wight during the holidays (it's half term soon) and I want to try to avoid that. No races planned between 13th and 27th, so maybe I should try doing several days of 13 or 14 miles or something during half term.
Feb 2010
12:42am, 5 Feb 2010
11,916 posts
  •  
flanker
*delurks*

been watching and absorbing, but a couple of quick thoughts...

everyone seems to be dogin a lot of trail and LDWA stuff as part of their training. This I can understand for the enjoyment factor (apart from N! :)) but I'd try and get some long days in on the tarmac too, just to get the legs, and particularly feet, accustomed to it.

salt tablets are availabe in the UK. For marathons/ultras where I'm not using nuun I'll always take Succeed tabs succeedscaps.com

Right, I'll head off back to being a very interested onlooker. Take care of those bodies peeps - as it gets closer you're going to loose the window for recovering from injury.

About This Thread

Maintained by Naomi P
Results sportident.co.uk

for daily video updates and links to Fetchies Justgiving pages, please click the banner above