10 in 10 - the race thread

32 watchers
Jan 2010
11:34am, 31 Jan 2010
10,643 posts
  •  
Foxy Davy
I had no idea how to train for this but at the start of last year I set myself a few challenges, most of which were mental ones.

I really had no idea how you train for such an event, so I decided to try & run as many miles as possible in 10 days, thought a double would be a good idea & a mini ultra.

I would think Anna & Naomi will be fine as they run so many marathons anyway, I guess the key is running on tired legs but after a morning massage the tiredness drifts away.

The beauty of the event is you get 19 or 20 hours rest & relaxation every day & how many of us get that usually - no work, no travel' no cooking (unless you call making toast cooking ?!)

Of course the luxury of being a previos participant is the rookies have to brew up for you :)
Jan 2010
2:51pm, 31 Jan 2010
1,337 posts
  •  
lurker (PECLO)
like fagging?
Jan 2010
5:09pm, 31 Jan 2010
1,658 posts
  •  
Anna Finn
And moving swiftly bak to training talk... I found last weekend that I got really spacey in the last few miles. I put it down to not enough calories, but realised afterwards that I'd forgotten to put salt tablets in my drink. I wonder if that could cause the dizzyness? I don't usually worry about salt tabs for 'just' a marathon, but I wonder if it's something to think about for during the TiT?
Jan 2010
5:14pm, 31 Jan 2010
4,871 posts
  •  
ogee
Anna, do you normally add salt to your drinks during a marathon? Just asking as I don't use additives unless it's for a longer run. Mind you I get dizzy spells all the time due to my Vertigo so I wouldn't know if it was salt induced or not. Btw you can't buy salt tablets in this nanny state anymore, was looking at buying some last year with all the extra mileage I was doing.
Jan 2010
5:18pm, 31 Jan 2010
1,660 posts
  •  
Anna Finn
I put nuun tablets in for ultras and sometimes for a marathon in the summer. I was never really sure if it was doing good or just a bit of placebo effect, but I do seem to have felt better where I've used nuun in long runs compared to where I haven't.
Jan 2010
5:23pm, 31 Jan 2010
4,872 posts
  •  
ogee
I'd Nuun it up all the way then. It's not going to do you any harm is it?
Nx
Jan 2010
6:09pm, 31 Jan 2010
309 posts
  •  
Nx
if i may just poke my nose in where i'm certainly not meant to be.... (but you know me... always getting lost...)

You can get endurolytes tablets by Hammer - salt tablets to you and me... from the site below....

www.hammernut.co.uk

Again for poking my nose in... Nx
Jan 2010
6:17pm, 31 Jan 2010
4,875 posts
  •  
ogee
Cheers for that Nx.
Jan 2010
6:22pm, 31 Jan 2010
1,051 posts
  •  
flip
i got some of them free with the hardmoors stuff Nx- seem ok but i really don't know if there doing much good. I only use stuff for 50 plus miles unless its hot . i always seem to wilt in the heat .

Great talk last week by the doc who tests all the blood of runners at the whw and other ultra's . interestig stuff. I will see if i can find it and post a link. He was particularly worried about over drinking and how this is one of the most dangerous problems and how the usa still persits in the drink before your thirsty way rather that the rest of the world who say drink when your thirsty. it may be of interest for you nx and other doing stuff in hot conditions.
Nx
Jan 2010
9:42pm, 31 Jan 2010
310 posts
  •  
Nx
thanks flip.... sounds good.... I don't actually use the hammer stuff except in hot conditions, as i don't think you really need it in the UK (unless we suddenly have a massive heat wave...)... i do use nuun though in this country... i was just being a bit nosey and thought i'd put my two pence worth in as ogee said he was struggling to find the stuff in the UK....i really just can't help but butting in!! ;-)

I also go on the thought process that you need to keep drinking (little and often) and if you get to the point when you are thirsty, then you are on the way to being in trouble...but this is for desert and high heat conditions, i have a different racing / nutirion plan for this country.... so i would be very keen to see what the doc has to say and why....

Thanks again flip xxxx

About This Thread

Maintained by Naomi P
Results sportident.co.uk

for daily video updates and links to Fetchies Justgiving pages, please click the banner above