BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

10 in 10 - the race thread

32 watchers
Jan 2010
11:02am, 28 Jan 2010
4815 posts
  •  
Naomi P
At the risk of sounding like a complete bore, I've set up a new thread where 10 in 10 runners past and present can discuss training, injuries, fund raising and all the other stuff relating to the challenge.

It's an alternative to the other 10 in 10 thread which has become more of a chat forum. That's entirely fine, but can we keep this one to pertinent discussion please to save us scrolling through pages of smut? Thanks.

I'll get the ball rolling. There are a number of different approaches to training among the 2010 TiTs -

Aly is going for blocks of 10 days' training
Jim is aiming to run lots of doubles
I'm building my mileage up to 100 miles / week with mini cycles of build/peak/consolidate/recovery

Anna, it seems, is running amazing ultras vitually every weekend
V'rap and El Bee went for mileage too

Any thoughts on pros and cons of each?
Jan 2010
11:11am, 28 Jan 2010
11808 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Whichever approach you take - what you are trying to 'train' is your ability to run at an effort level that you can repeat day after day for the marathon distance.
The balance is crucial!
You don't want to work too hard for pace - and you don't want to be on your feet longer than is necessary for YOU!

V'rap and I worked on the principle that we needed to increase our overall mileage without breaking ourselves - to normalise the marathon distance, and to gain experience of running back to back long runs with the focus being the ability to put in the same or more effort on the second day.

We made running something we DID - rather something we trained! And so we made up our general training mileage by taking every opportunity to get out and run (even if it was a 30 minute window that we'd have otherwise ignored)
That way we built up the volume by running multiple times a day but without overworking ourselves - and we rarely had rest days when we were in the most intense period of our training

We specifically targeted double weekends - and we specifically ran the Windermere course a few times to hard-wire it's unique character into our brains
Jan 2010
11:12am, 28 Jan 2010
1643 posts
  •  
Anna Finn
Best thread idea ever! ;-)

I'm doing what I enjoy and that has to be a huge pro I guess.

I'm not going for a fast time at the TiT, so my training is really just to make the event as comfortable as possible so that I can enjoy my time in the Lakes. Hence lots of miles at events. Plus of course, I'm also training for GUCR and trying to be youngest woman to get into 100 club, so my 'training' isn't entirely focused on the TiT.
Jan 2010
11:13am, 28 Jan 2010
11809 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Anna - the training that you are doing is going to prepare you well for this event anyway!!
Jan 2010
11:15am, 28 Jan 2010
1644 posts
  •  
Anna Finn
That's what I'd hoped. Lots of running to prepare for lots of running. Simples! :-)
Jan 2010
11:17am, 28 Jan 2010
4817 posts
  •  
Naomi P
Brilliant advice El Bee. I like the specificity approach of getting used to the effort level you'll be using in the event.

I'm putting in more double sessions in my schedule and back to backs, and it's been great to have run the Windy course a couple of times already.

Anna, I have a feeling you're going to be the strongest on the course this year..
Jan 2010
11:58am, 28 Jan 2010
4756 posts
  •  
ogee
Personally, i'd up my mileage to about 16-18 a day & try to go about my business as normal, with all the extra care & attention you'll receive from the physio's & nutritionists you should find the extra 8/10miles a day comparitively easy.
Jan 2010
12:13pm, 28 Jan 2010
4818 posts
  •  
Naomi P
I'm trying to get that into my training O. I thought that if I could average 20 miles a day for a week on top of my work and other commitments, then psychologically, it's a bit like doing a few 20 milers for your first marathon.
Jan 2010
12:25pm, 28 Jan 2010
10401 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I would advise people NOT to try to replicate the event in any way before actually doing it. The most important thing is to arrive on the first day uninjured and mentally sharp.

If you looked at our preparation on paper, you would never have backed me to finish ahead of Aly last year. Aly had a very strong build-up and ran three sub-4hr marathons in the spring before I'd run one.

Although eL Bee! and I ran lots of miles, we didn't do anything that put us at risk of breaking. Even those marathon PBs 12 days before the start of the event were run quite conservatively.

And get used to the idea of eating a higher-calorie, higher-fat diet than you're accustomed to. You'll use it during the event.
Jan 2010
7:30pm, 28 Jan 2010
2153 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
i'm not doing this, but i have done a triple a few years ago so will offer my thoughts, hope that's ok? i realise 10 is a different matter but i certainly felt at the time that i could have done a fourth...

anyway i would favour an approach of trying to run for at least an hour every day, and try and do comfortably-paced road marathons at the weekend, having done 50 miles over the preceding 6 days. i would be wary of running ridiculously slowly in races though as that could lead to injury. i'd definitely try and run the morning after a marathon to get the body used to running on legs tired from the previous day.

the other thing i think i might opt to do is long runs on my own when not in a marathon, as i guess a lot of the time you are fairly isolated from other runners? i might build in some mental training by doing 1 mile laps of the park for a few hours as well.

i'd also up my protein intake to mitigate against muscle breakdown and take seriously good care of my feet! the key thing for me doing the triple was the ability to get the calories in easily and regularly.

About This Thread

Maintained by Naomi P
Results sportident.co.uk

for daily video updates and links to Fetchies Justgiving pages, please click the banner above