1/2 marathon prep help. Urgent! Its tomorrow!

1 watcher
May 2013
9:35am, 31 May 2013
170 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
Ok, first half tomorrow and apart from the fact I haven't exactly trained (furthest I have ever run is about 15k), I am more concerned about clothing. Don't laugh. It is going to be about 8-10 degrees tomorrow, sunny, wind behind me and generally lovely. This = scorching by our standards. I did my last-day tiny 20 minute slow jog at 7am this morning; it was 4 degrees and I was roasting.

So.... what do I wear? I am very slow and will take at least 2 hours to finish this (see:no training). I want to take one or two gel packs with me to take either one at 10k or one at 8k and one a bit further on. BUT none of my summer running kit has any proper pockets. The only tops I have with pockets are my running jacket (will die of heatstroke), my triathlon vest (superb pockets but they will make me pin a number on, it will make holes, and I will cry before I start. I love that vest) and bike tops (short-sleeve one will chave; long-sleeve one will chave AND be too hot anyway). My running tights have a tiny pocket at the back which will hold max 1 gel; my running shorts have an even smaller pocket that may not even hold that.

What to do, my friends? What to do? There will be water stops on the track and these might also have powerade, but I fear if I drink the latter I will get nauseous or worse still, runners' trots.
May 2013
9:38am, 31 May 2013
20,281 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
If it's only two gels trigirl, then you can just carry them in your hands? I was running with wee shorts and a vest last Saturday in a half and I just carried by two gels. You will take one at 4 miles and one at 8 (no point taking it at 12.5 miles!) so you won't even be carrying them that long!

Good luck. :-)G
May 2013
9:39am, 31 May 2013
23,867 posts
  •  
swittle
Duplicate as far as possible what you eat, drink and wear normally on your longer runs. Don't try anything new! If you need your gels, use a rubber band to secure them to your wrist(s).
May 2013
9:41am, 31 May 2013
23,473 posts
  •  
Old Croc
as light a top as possible - gel in each hand? Get a gel belt? use a number belt over your tri suit?
May 2013
9:41am, 31 May 2013
171 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
ooo rubber band, that's a good idea! And if it annoys me,I can always just hold them, like HappyG says. (BTW, don't understand miles; am European!)
May 2013
9:43am, 31 May 2013
902 posts
  •  
macapple
I carry mine in my hands (I feel odd running empty handed for some reason) but like the rubber band idea too.
May 2013
9:44am, 31 May 2013
23,474 posts
  •  
Old Croc
friend or supporter on the route to hand one to you?
May 2013
9:45am, 31 May 2013
1,303 posts
  •  
trendy runner
Good idea Swittle re the rubber bands
May 2013
9:45am, 31 May 2013
476 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Just tuck the gels in your shorts waistband :) If you're going to be moving consistently (no walking breaks) wear just a tshirt or vest, you should keep yourself warm by moving.
Don't touch the powerade if it gives you issues - no point in making problems for yourself.

Oh, and enjoy it, don't go out too fast :)
May 2013
9:46am, 31 May 2013
172 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
I'm on my own, Croc. It's an hour from here and a friend is driving me (he will be way ahead of me). I don't have a number belt as such and I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with my bottle belt (I never run with it, because it is never that hot here in the winter).

About This Thread

Ok, first half tomorrow and apart from the fact I haven't exactly trained (furthest I have ever run...