0-10 Miles in 8 weeks

3 watchers
Jan 2014
10:18pm, 3 Jan 2014
4,195 posts
  •  
Duchess
The horrible realisation has dawned that I'm entered for a 10 mile race in less than two months. My training *is* as bad as my log suggests - I ran a slow 4.5 miles in November and that was about it recently (bar 3 x 25 minute jogs to start Marcothon).

I don't want to pull out of the race, but what can I do between now and then to make the best of it? I've no ambitions for time, other than "don't humiliate myself". Other than working full time I have no real excuse for not running other than lack of mojo and incentive.

Any advice gratefully received...
Jan 2014
10:37pm, 3 Jan 2014
9,879 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Imagine that instead of shoes, you have an esteemed colleague on each foot, and with every step you are pulverising them from above and grinding them down below. Run somewhere muddy.
Jan 2014
11:10pm, 3 Jan 2014
13,520 posts
  •  
Mad Dame Fleecy
I think you should just start out slow and build up to maybe 7 or 8 miles, it's not like you're a complete beginner so you will have some level of running fitness. Maybe start out run/walking if it's tough at first, get out 3 times a week with 2 shorter runs and a longer one and build up slowly. You can do it, just get started :)
Jan 2014
11:15pm, 3 Jan 2014
10,299 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Erm... how much time/how many days per week do you realistically have available to train
Jan 2014
11:24pm, 3 Jan 2014
26,895 posts
  •  
Official Nellers Merchandise
If you have no ambitions fo a particular time then I'd advise that you train by running as much as you can as often as you can at a very easy pace, that you include walk breaks if you need to and that on the day you stick to a run/walk plan from the start rather than just towards the end when you're knackered.

And if you have no mojo for running or training what is it that makes you want to not pull out of the race itself? That reason is going to form a big part of your motivation to get out the door and do some training.
Jan 2014
11:44pm, 3 Jan 2014
4,197 posts
  •  
Duchess
Mojo has been hiding recently, I'm kind of hoping to wake it up as a belated Christmas present. As for the race, well I'm a stubborn mare and I don't want a DNS. It's a bit of a famous race round here and I was lucky to get a place, I don't want to waste it.

Training time wise, I could sensibly do 4 days a week - maybe an hour during the week and longer at weekends, although I don't think my body would approve of longer just now. Any more days and I'd probably do myself a mischief physically.
Jan 2014
12:18am, 4 Jan 2014
10,300 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I'm in a similar sort of position Duchess and frequently work gets in the way & I don't get my run in. I too aim for 4 times a week: Tues, Thurs, a parkrun on Sat and an LSR on Sun.
Jan 2014
12:44am, 4 Jan 2014
8,070 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Get out the door and run consistently. In fact, don't "just" run, run and walk, especially if you are aiming to be out for an hour or more. Although I would suggest not starting off doing an hour every time in the first couple of weeks.

Don't injure yourself and don't make yourself hate it. But don't leave getting started any longer.
Jan 2014
5:26am, 4 Jan 2014
9,844 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
You can make a lot of progress in a couple of months. I've had a few extended breaks from running, have hated starting from scratch again each time, but then I've been well chuffed with how relatively quickly I have been able to run more miles, off 3 consistent runs a week. Run 4.5m for this week's long run and add half a mile a week for the next 4 weeks, then a mile a week up to race day. Run/walk if you need to. Do a couple of 3 - 5 milers during the week at a pace that suits.
And remember to enjoy it :-)
Jan 2014
6:32am, 4 Jan 2014
8,813 posts
  •  
DerbyTup
Great advice in last two posts. Good luck!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Duchess
The horrible realisation has dawned that I'm entered for a 10 mile race in less than two months. M...