Ultra training for beginners

169 watchers
May 2014
10:04am, 12 May 2014
414 posts
  •  
Shred Betty
Salomon shoes vary quite a bit across the range, they're not consistent in shape or size, so you may find a different model would be OK - having said that the mantra sounds like they would suit what you were looking for!

The Brooks Cascadia 9 might be worth a look, they're a trail shoe, but I'm quite happy wearing mine for a reasonable amount of road (although mine are 8's - the newer 9s have been redisigned to have a lower heel drop I think!)
May 2014
10:24am, 12 May 2014
770 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Most Salomons are far too narrow for my feet, SB. The Mantra sounded perfect on paper, but just didn't fit my left foot properly (right foot seemed OK). And they have silly laces, so I couldn't start lacing one set of holes up like I often do without cutting off the silly lace, and if I'd cut the lace I would have had to keep them, whether or not they fit.

I will look at the Cascadia; thanks.
May 2014
10:28am, 12 May 2014
17,647 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Brooks pure grit are very nice. Shocking grip for steep off road, but just the right balance of cushioning and firmness.
May 2014
10:33am, 12 May 2014
171 posts
  •  
The Bogman
Jacdaw, I have similar problem with Salomon except it is my right foot that has a problem and agree, normally I can lace one foot differently to accomodate but with the Salomon system that isnt possible without replacing the laces. I like the MT NB1010v2, they have a 4mm drop, roomy toe box and reasonably well cushioned and ok for short road...not great in proper mud!
May 2014
10:34am, 12 May 2014
771 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Johnny, I've just been reading pure grit reviews; apparently version 2 now has great grip, but the rest of the shoe is rubbish!

The original version is on my (ever expanding) list. I might even find a bargain. Are they nice and wide, and is the sizing fairly normal?
May 2014
11:16am, 12 May 2014
697 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Sportshoes have the original Puregrit reduced to £39.99 in most sizes and even a choice of colours ! http://www.sportsshoes.com/products/mens/?q=puregrit#__utma=1.1365922393.1390066281.1399807649.1399889631.20&__utmb=1.5.9.1399889696410&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1399807649.19.14.utmcsr=May%20Email%20Campaign utmccn=eshot_May_Newsletter_email_2014 utmcmd=email utmcct=saucony%20ultra~cushioned%20socks&__utmv=-&__utmk=221298584
May 2014
11:29am, 12 May 2014
22,161 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
jacdaw, I had an achilles prob, but I put it down to a change in races and terrain, rather than shoes. I had worn Inov-8 and am now in Hoka, but don't think that shoes mattered. My achilles prob was caused by going from flat stuff to hillier tarmac (races - I had always trained in hills).

Anyway, just to say, my solution was given exercises by GP (GP free, physio costs money! He's a runner, so he knows what he's talking about!)

Eccentric contraction - effectively heel drops, but under load. Having suffered for 3 or 4 months (June - Sep), within 4-6 weeks (Nov-Dec) it cleared up and I haven't had the problem again since.

Here's a copy of what I wrote in another thread....

"I fixed my achilles by doing a single exercise (having tried foam roller and calf stretching etc for a couple months, to no avail). I was seeing GP about something else - tennis elbow, of all things! and cos he's a runner, he asked about training and achilles came up and he got me a referral for NHS physio. It was 12 weeks before I got the appointment, but still, a nice thought!). Anyway, he said google, "Escentric contraction exercise for achilles".

It's basically a reverse of calf raises. Or similar to heel drop (stretches) but with load. So, stand on edge of a step, on toes (don't raise yourself onto your toes. Start there. If necessary, use a bar to lift yourself up. This is not a calf exercise). Lower your heels down to beyond the step, to full extension, but sloooowwwlllyyy (10-15 seconds). You don't need to hold it at the bottom. This isn't the calf stretch either (though you will feel your calf lengthening).

Repeat as much as you can e.g. 15 or 20 repeats on each leg. Maybe 2 sets. Build up the number of reps, the number of sets and if it's still too easy, do it with weight (go carefully) or other resistance (I was able to use a ballet bar at gym, to lift myself up to start position and add resistance on the way down). I could feel the fatigue after 10 or 15 repeats. 2 sets and I was tired. I increased resistance and numbers over the weeks.

I did this c. 3-4 times per week (whenever in gym) and it took as little as 4-6 weeks to feel better (started December, having had probs since June, and now I don't feel it at all and I'm up to full mileage in training and races). I think (touch wood) it is now fully sorted. I do the exercise occasionally (once a week or maybe once a fortnight) as a preventative."

Good luck. :-) G
May 2014
11:37am, 12 May 2014
22,164 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
The doctor def wrote "escentric contraction" on the presciption, but maybe he meant eccentric?
May 2014
11:44am, 12 May 2014
3,096 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I don't run road ultras, but can endorse what Betty says about the Brooks Cascadia 9. Yes, this model has a slightly lower heel drop than the 8 but it's very comfortable and well-cushioned and I'd be happy to run a bit of distance on the road in them. Grip is average, you wouldn't want to be doing anything too severe in them.
May 2014
1:03pm, 12 May 2014
773 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Thanks HappyG, and glad to hear you managed to sort out your achilles - there is hope. I will certainly work on the heel drop exercises.

I don't really know if low drop shoes caused the problem, I have a suspicion that it was possibly caused by swimming, but I know my f-lites do seem to irritate it, so I need an alternative shoe to run this 69 mile ultra in, if I can't manage to cure the problem completely before the middle of June.

About This Thread

Maintained by jacdaw
I'm planning to run a couple of ultra events next year and I'm looking for some general training i...