Shoe prices

7 watchers
Feb 2013
1:48pm, 1 Feb 2013
3,235 posts
  •  
paul the builder
I don't even think you need spectacular form to get 800-1000 miles from shoes. That's about the norm for me, before they get too worn (and the wear-out point is the sole at the heel - like I say, certainly not perfect form...)
Feb 2013
2:13pm, 1 Feb 2013
1,572 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Like lots of things it is partly down to personal choice - I probably err on the side of caution after picking up an achilles problem a few years ago which was definitely due to my shoes having worn out without my noticing - and I hadn't done anything like 500 miles in them. I find it difficult to throw older shoes away - I just wear them for shorter runs!
Feb 2013
2:31pm, 1 Feb 2013
322 posts
  •  
touche turtle
I mostly buy my 'Brooks' trainers from mandmdirect.com, they are mainly last seasons or earlier and not all sizes are available, but worth a look as I generally pay £50 or less.
Feb 2013
2:34pm, 1 Feb 2013
317 posts
  •  
mushroom
Interesting thread.

I've probably been guilty of being too cautious in the past and ditching my shoes as they've hit 450/500 miles. I have thought that the cushioning was feeling a little firm, but I wonder how much was down to me expecting them to be wearing out so looking for an excuse to buy new shoes..?!

I've certainly noticed the prices have ramped up over the last couple of years - raw materials and oil prices will account for some of that, then there's probably an increase in R&D and new technology over the same time. If I was a cynic I might start to think if companies are exploiting the fact that more people have taken up running...
Feb 2013
4:23pm, 5 Feb 2013
681 posts
  •  
Hackett
Shoe prices !! What about the race prices ?!?!?!?
Feb 2013
4:36pm, 5 Feb 2013
28,802 posts
  •  
Hendo
Threads like this wind me up. Genuine advice to be given about the considered wisdom on how the cushioning will deteriorate or degrade on “normal” heavy-cushioned/structured shoes after about 4-500 miles. When you rely on these properties to run, such deterioration will affect your gait/form regardless of weight, “good” form or whatever. The reason low profile shoes last longer is the runner relies less on the shoes’ inherent structural properties.

Anyway. Carry on with the pissing contest about how many miles your shoes have on them, and how with a bit of gaffa tape and some screws they’re good for another 1,000 miles. You’re all ace.
Feb 2013
4:50pm, 5 Feb 2013
1,652 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Thank you for the explanation re cushioned shoes - which I do run in, being a slight over-pronator - this would fit with the experience I had a few years ago with my achilles. I feel that my current favourite shoes (with less than 400 miles on the clock so to speak) are nearing the end - as mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, I wear through heels and soles of normal shoes quickly and so have always assumed this would also affect running shoes. Likewise when seeing a physio last year about a non-running injury, who is also a runner, she endorsed changing supportive shoes at 400-500 miles if not sooner.
Personally not taking part in any contest - and like mushroom happy for an excuse to buy new shoes.
Feb 2013
7:00pm, 5 Feb 2013
2,873 posts
  •  
daviec
So just to piss a bit higher, there are two options. (i) rely on the properties of a shoe which despite costing a small fortune will be done in just 300 to 500 miles or (ii) do something about the fact that you get through shoes in just 300 to 500 miles. If you choose option (i) then STFU about shoe prices, and if you choose option (ii) no need to complain about shoe prices because you'll get your money's worth.

Also my kit log says I've got 2124 miles on my current trainers. Yes, I am ace.
Feb 2013
7:18pm, 5 Feb 2013
3,249 posts
  •  
paul the builder
I like the new feisty davie.

I'm not so keen on the new grumpy Hendo.
Feb 2013
7:58pm, 5 Feb 2013
797 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
Lol Hendo :-) you're such a beast ;-) (and I know you're only sore cos your brother is better looking) - but obviously I love you the most :-p

Shoe prices are crazy :-( My shoes will now have to last me until they drop to bits I guess you just have to keep your eyes peeled for bargains, last time I got some they were from Chain Reaction Cycles (also do running stuff) :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Da Big Guy
Is it just me or has the price of trainers (Asics specifically) gone up an awful lot? 6 months ago I...