Running inhibits fat loss - opinions?

25 watchers
Jul 2013
1:13am, 5 Jul 2013
15,739 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Clairster you say you don't eat pasta rice potatoes bread can I ask what you eat on a typical day only ask as I eat bread and potatoes a lot probably explains my gut so looking more for ideas what to eat but i'm so fussy
Jul 2013
7:18am, 5 Jul 2013
10,439 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
it's just a simple equations of calories in vs calories out...if you take in less calories you'll soon lose the weight. As running being bad for you...hmmm, just look at all those fat/obese elite runners like Mo Farah. I'm sure they run quite a few miles in their training weeks and don't have a problem with weight.

There could be other 'non-running related' reasons you're not loosing weight...thyroid can be one.
Jul 2013
9:25am, 5 Jul 2013
253 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
Simple equation of calories in vs calories out: Yes... and No.

1st law of Thermodynamic - energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed from one form to another. If you absorb more calories than you use for energy you will gain weight (though not necessarily as fat, since someone who gains muscle will also gain weight). If you absorb fewer calories than you use for energy, you will lose weight (thought not necessarily from fat)

Notice I said "absorb" rather than "eat", because a proportion of the calories in the food you eat will not be absorbed, for various reasons. How much people *want* to eat is influenced by many things, including the genetic and environmental factors which have influenced the brain's satiety centres, the availability and palatability of food and the composition of food eaten.

On the output side - the idea that you can accurately calculate expenditure from a person's age, sex, weight and activity level is a myth. The calories burned in running a mile varies massively, even within the same person - it varies with speed, terrain, weather, degree of training, but also nutritional status. The body's fire does not burn at a constant rate - and nutrition is one of the knobs that adjust it. When food is plentiful, the body can afford to be wasteful, but when food is scarce (you're watching what you eat) and demands are great (you're training for a marathon), your body will become hyper-efficient at using fuel.

The differences in hunger levels, in the rate at which energy is burned, and also whether extra calories are stored as fat, muscle or glycogen are all massively influenced by hormones. Hormones and genes can't cause you to break the First Law of Thermodynamics, but they do mean that two people eating and exercising exactly the same can have quite different outcomes.

Clairster's fundamental question, if I've got it right, is what impact does running have on the hormonal environment, i.e. does it make it harder to lose fat than other forms of exercise. Given everything running lore says about long slow running to train the muscles to burn fat preferentially, it seems counterintuitive.... but empirical evidence has got to trump intuition any day. Trouble is, I can't find any empirical evidence.

A simple equation of calories in? Yes, but, No, but....

That said, I don't see how anyone who eats chocolate and cream cakes all day long (like I used to) will ever be skinny... and I also can't see how anyone who consumes two lettuce leaves and half a tomato a day will ever get fat. Or stay alive.
Jul 2013
9:37am, 5 Jul 2013
924 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
And yet we all seemingly know someone who does eat chocolate and cream cakes all day and is as skinny as anything - fat people who say they eat nothing are probably lying...
Jul 2013
9:43am, 5 Jul 2013
2,241 posts
  •  
Wobbling
I agree, there are lots of factors that can and do inhibit fat loss.

Hormonal contraception can have a major impact on weight loss. When I was on the depo injection and other hormonal contraception in my mid-late 30s, I couldn't lose weight. I kept a food diary, ate around 1400 kcal a day and ran, and did not lose any significant weight. Women are warned that hormonal contraception can make you gain weight but little is mentioned of the way is inhibits fat loss as well. It wasn't until I stopped taking the pill, in September 2011, that I began to lose weight and I've dropped about 11 kilos since then.

I'm very careful and try to weigh all the food I eat, (usually having perhaps one day a week when I don't because we're eating out or similar) or eat food from outlets that publish their calories. I also try not to over-estimate how many calories I burn through exercise and in the main, this works for me. Last month, however, I exercised everyday, sometimes twice a day, and I saw only marginal weight loss. I'm guessing there was an element of muscle building which is one reason I didn't lose weight, but I also think my body was in a bit of a panic and just held onto fat stores.
Jul 2013
6:57pm, 5 Jul 2013
255 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
I can honestly say that I don't exercise for the calories it burns, but for the way it makes me feel, both physically and emotionally. Strong, poised, having stamina, upbeat, happy.

That said, I am as guilty as the next person of deciding that this morning's 11.8 mile walk justified pie and chips at the pub AND a Magnum on the way home.
Jul 2013
7:37am, 6 Jul 2013
1,433 posts
  •  
clairster
night-owl: hello :) fruit, veggies, pulses, nuts, seeds. Quinoa is good if you are looking for a rice type substitute or I grate courgttes/carrots and dry fry..or shredded cabbage..lots of things to experiment with

I am also slightly scuppered by some medication I take so I feel I am just fighting weight gain as opposed to being able to lose any actual fat

OF course calories in versus calories out and Revbarbarag is right, I was asking more about the hormonal environment. I eat slightly more than two lettuce leaves a day, but I certainly dont have a chocolate/sugar filled diet and am always getting people at work commenting on how healthy my food is (drives me nuts!)
Jul 2013
7:40am, 6 Jul 2013
1,434 posts
  •  
clairster
NO - typical day would be yoghurt/berries with a few seeds for brekkie or pink grapefruit/yog etc; salad with tuna or beans for lunch (whatever salad/raw veg I have around in winter I tend to make veggie/bean stews someties with buckwheat in or butternut squash); smoothie (protein powder/berries) or soup in the evening. snacks are apples/pears/few nuts
Jul 2013
8:58pm, 6 Jul 2013
15,745 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Thanks fo that clairster food for thought (lol) i'm getting better its a case of educating myself what I should et and not what I crave its getting better can walk down the chocolate crisp aisle without wanting some
Jul 2013
12:39pm, 7 Jul 2013
672 posts
  •  
Canute
I haven’t been following this thread so I have missed a lot of details, but it seems to me the puzzle is the apparent discrepancy between the simple equation for weight loss (measured in equivalent calories):
Weight loss = Calorie output – Calories absorbed

compared with Clairsters’ experience of little weight loss despite quite of lot of exercise and a sensible diet.

When the maths doesn’t add up. It is worth looking for the hidden terms in the equation. It might help to examine the three parts of calorie output.
Calorie output =

Resting metabolism +
Metabolism due to low intensity exercise +
Metabolism due to moderate and high intensity exercise.

Many people count the calories due to moderate and high intensity exercise (the stuff we count as training) and then make life style adjustments in the hope of reducing resting metabolism, Resting metabolism accounts for a small fraction of the total and is difficult to adjust. The hidden term: metabolism due to low intensity exercise (eg gardening, house work or walking to the shops) is also relatively small, but it is easier to increase this than to adjust resting metabolism. Typically gardening or housework consumes about 3 times resting metabolic rate while moderate to high intensity exercise consumes 10-14 times resting rate. So 4 hours of low intensity exercise = 1 hour of high intensity exercise. Posting on Fetch probably only increases metabolism above rest by about one tenth, so I should go and mow the lawn while the sun is shining.

About This Thread

Maintained by clairster
I have recently changed my trainin shcedule in order to try and shed some unwanted flab. I do interv...