Running inhibits fat loss - opinions?

25 watchers
Jun 2013
6:46pm, 15 Jun 2013
3,871 posts
  •  
Jambomo
How much do you think that evolution will have changed those things within us? I guess that over the years as our eating ha it's and lifestyles have evolved then our bodies have possibly changed away from this as well.
Jun 2013
6:50am, 16 Jun 2013
122 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
For evolution to change us, obesity would have to be a disadvantage as far as reproduction is concerned. Well, it is (it's harder for obese women to conceive, and there's a higher risk of miscarriage) but it's minor. And most people have managed to reproduce before they become ill as a consequence of their weight, so the genes are already passed on.

So yes, if this food environment continues, then eventually we'll adapt so that we can eat processed crap all day and sit on our bums without becoming fat and sick. It may take millions of years, but it will happen. However, there will always be runners, so the so-called thrifty genes will persist as well, as there is no evolutionary disadvantage in having them when you eat healthily and run.

Of course, when Armageddon comes and food is scarce, those with the eat-anything-stay-slim genes will quickly wither and die, whereas those of us who have thrifty genes will survive.
Jun 2013
9:09am, 16 Jun 2013
1,409 posts
  •  
clairster
i think it is predominantly the hormonal environment that i struggle with..my diet is pretty clean, i dont eat processed foods and i dont eat many carbs..never have potatoes/rice/pasta/bread. i run 40-60miles a week, i do yoga classes and hiit/strength training. I have to fight so hard to NOT put on any weight, given up all hopes of losing any!
Jun 2013
9:12am, 16 Jun 2013
51,467 posts
  •  
Gobi
Eating too much food healthy or not inhibits fat loss because we eat too much.

Simple maths will always prevail.

Most people over calculate how many calories they burn and under calculate how many calories they eat
Jun 2013
10:28am, 16 Jun 2013
24,143 posts
  •  
swittle
Beautifully uncomplicated ^
Jun 2013
12:54pm, 16 Jun 2013
1,410 posts
  •  
clairster
Interesting article here..
metaboliceffect.com
Jun 2013
1:24pm, 16 Jun 2013
3,356 posts
  •  
Pestomum
Being obese doesn't mean you have a genetic predisposition towards obesity?
Jun 2013
1:27pm, 16 Jun 2013
904 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
well said Gobi...
Jun 2013
1:47pm, 16 Jun 2013
13,319 posts
  •  
Steady Edina
I think if I was eating less than I was using but still not losing weight I'd be wanting to get my thyroid levels checked
Jun 2013
1:55pm, 16 Jun 2013
1,412 posts
  •  
clairster
p ersonally eat less now than I ever have done and exercise more. undoubtedly the calories in versus calories out is massively under and over estimated by a lot of people. I have worked with a PT with food diaries etc and i would happily share details with anyone who doubts me. I also have a friend who has Crohns and can only manage one meal a day and doesnt even get much nutrition out of that because of the surgery she has had. She exercises a lot and still has problems with putting on weight. so i personally dont believe it is as simple as calories in = calories out. but i didnt start this thread to talk about food and exercise, I was more interested in the physiologicaly effects of exercise on fat storage

About This Thread

Maintained by clairster
I have recently changed my trainin shcedule in order to try and shed some unwanted flab. I do interv...