Running inhibits fat loss - opinions?

25 watchers
Nov 2012
1:11pm, 28 Nov 2012
1,213 posts
  •  
clairster
I have recently changed my trainin shcedule in order to try and shed some unwanted flab. I do intervals twice a week and strength sessions 3 times a week, with some plyo work thrown in for good measure. I have continued to run whilst doing so and hit anywhere between 30 and 50miles a week. My diet is pretty reasonable, avoiding all refined carbs, focus on protein/veggies/fruit. After 9 weeks I have failed to lose a single pound or cm. I have been told that it is likely becasue I am running and this is inhibiting fat loss via promotion of my endurance/slow twitch fibres and not allowing the focus on the fast twitch development. The solution offered to me was to quit running for a few weeks and focus purely on the gym work. Does anyone have any other solutions?
Nov 2012
1:15pm, 28 Nov 2012
14,221 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Long slow running encourages the body to hold energy, building muscle with short hard efforts or weight training helps burn it off. At least that is what I was always told.
Nov 2012
1:16pm, 28 Nov 2012
22,497 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'm struggling to see a proven direct link between the relative development of different muscle fibre types and the mobilisation of fat, but if what you're currently doing isn't achieving the result you want it would make sense to try something different.
Nov 2012
1:17pm, 28 Nov 2012
9,884 posts
  •  
Mikuro
Eat less calories a day than you burn.
Nov 2012
1:20pm, 28 Nov 2012
14,222 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I think its more about bulk and relstive metabolc rate than the type of fibre per se. Endurance work doesn't build bulk/muscle mass as such.
You need both of course, and Mikuro is absolutely right. The real problem is knowing how much you burn.
Nov 2012
1:21pm, 28 Nov 2012
6,724 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
I find building muscle mass through weight training helps, as does cutting my net calorie intake to 1600 per day.
Nov 2012
1:23pm, 28 Nov 2012
9,294 posts
  •  
Pootles Christmas Baubles
I find running always helps me loose fat/weight when I put my mind to it and don't over eat. It's just the shit I eat the rest of the time that tends in "inhibit" the weight loss.
Nov 2012
1:25pm, 28 Nov 2012
1,214 posts
  •  
clairster
would cutting the running and focus on the resistance training help my metabolic rate increase?

the thing I struggle with is how removing running, and thus exercise would be beneficial?

would it be much more effective to just focus on strict calorie counting and food awareness for a while?
Nov 2012
1:27pm, 28 Nov 2012
1,215 posts
  •  
clairster
sorry, to add to that..I thought 'running on empty' was a good way to burn fat. so i run 4-6miles a couple of times a week, 1st thing pre fuel and without over compensating the night before..I am struggling to see how removing this will promote fat loss
Nov 2012
1:28pm, 28 Nov 2012
22,498 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Clairster, switching from one type of exercise to another wouldn't make a significant amount of difference to your metabolic rate. Although muscle is more metabolically active than fat, it's difficult to build enough additional muscle to make a noticeable difference to how many calories you burn at rest. And ANY kind of exercise is likely to result in a compensatory drop in how much you move when you're not exercising.

I'd definitely advise focusing on diet if weight/inch loss are what you're looking for.

About This Thread

Maintained by clairster
I have recently changed my trainin shcedule in order to try and shed some unwanted flab. I do interv...